ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Default Re: Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Rodrigo, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth after reading that...
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Default Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    He entered the fish in a contest, does that not qualify as an intent to showcase high quality discus? If he wanted to simply share his methos, why enter them in a contest?
    Honest question.

Rodrigo
    Rod, that was not my intent. I've stated my intent, probably over a dozen times over the course of this thread. It's starting to get a little repetitive. Why do folks run in a marathon, if they know they will come in last? Honest answer.

That all sort of sounded like someting out of Happy Gilmore... like a "Shooter McGavin"ish...
    -Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Rodrigo, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth after reading that...
    I rest my case, there are people not worth my time...I tried...you all stay well and be happy.

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
    LOL, you need to re-read his comment. He used the word breed not in the context of breeding but rather Discus are one "breed" of fish. He was referring to the fact that this forum is dedicated to Discus and not all other "breeds" of fish.
    My apologies to Rod if I took his post out of content.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    Rod, that was not my intent. I've stated my intent, probably over a dozen times over the course of this thread. It's starting to get a little repetitive. Why do folks run in a marathon, if they know they will come in last? Honest answer.
    You should have stuck to your guns, and not entered them, sorry.
    To answer your question, people enter to challenge themselves, to better personal goals, nothing close to what you have achieved with your discus. You managed to enter the marathon, and failed to excell your expectations, choosing instead to accept the...I've done the best I could under my circumstances line...oh well...

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Registered Member

Hey Shawn,

Please re-read my post, I never focused on breeding. Like I said, I have no horse in this race, so please feel free to raise your discus as you see fit.
    I have some respecet for the fish and the hobby that surrounds it, and the people involved in it, so I choose to act to the best of my ability, and not to what I can fit in my schedule. Let me add one more example if I may...

I always wanted a dog, and untill recently I never got one since I did not have the means (time, space, financial) to maintain one to the best of my ability, and knowing that I was providing it with the best possible life.

When you deal with living things, some basics have to be taken into account, like what is best for them to thrive, not simply survive. If your lifestyle (congratulations on the bby by the way!) does not allow you to provide theproper care for discus, I don't believe you should try to keep them. There are numeorous other types of fish out there that are perfect for your situation, and equally as prized by their enthusiasts, like bettas, and other less demanding fish. I am not trying to be funny, I am being honest. Skip, who is a member here, moved mainly into bettas since it fits his current lifestyle better, that's all.

Now I honestly fail to see how you can call yourself an enthusiast, and post here, while providing such poor conditions for your fish to thrive, notice I said thrive, not survive.

Thanks on the complimets, but to be clear, Bob and I currenlty don't breed fish, we import them for resale.

Stay well,

Rodrigo
    Rod, it's obvious we differ in views of the term enthusiast, and I'm ok with that. This Discus tank is just one of my 7 tanks, not all being Discus. Stay well.

Registered Member

You should have stuck to your guns, and not entered them, sorry.
    To answer your question, people enter to challenge themselves, to better personal goals, nothing close to what you have achieved with your discus. You managed to enter the marathon, and failed to excell your expectations, choosing instead to accept the...I've done the best I could under my circumstances line...oh well...

Rodrigo
    Rod,

I view it entirely differently. As the title states, this is my first time breeding and raising my own Discus. Viewing it any other way than challenging myself regardless of the hurdles would be wrong. We all learn to walk at some point in our lives, I just chose to walk the unbeaten path.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    Rod,

I view it entirely differently. As the title states, this is my first time breeding and raising my own Discus. Viewing it any other way than challenging myself regardless of the hurdles would be wrong. We all learn to walk at some point in our lives, I just chose to walk the unbeaten path.
    ive read this whole thread and u keep saying this is something new being done that hasnt been done b4 do u really think in all the yrs of discus keeping ur the only one to raise discus in a dirty over crowded tank. it has happen been happening since discus breeding has been going on and still today from people other than ur self.u are not walking an unbeaten path u are walking a path that has been beaten to death.i do hope u continue to update cause just for documenting point no one documents failures at least to the end.and get off the show quality crap even the time tested proven ways dont =perfet show fish.but the standard quality some of the sponsers import here on a regular basis would be a good quality to shoot for.gl with ur fish and hopefully keep us updated
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Registered Member

Thanks for your input cjr.

Registered Member Lt shinysides's Avatar

Wowsers
    all you all need is a smiley face in you're paragraphs an there'd be no aggro:-)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lt shinysides View Post
    Wowsers
    all you all need is a smiley face in you're paragraphs an there'd be no aggro:-)
    Thanks for the uplifting spirit shinysides.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Ok I wasn't going to post until people started saying the fish look great. They don't. They are half the size they should be at this age and there are at least two with popeye. I'm all for experiments and trying new ideas but this is not a new idea. I do like the fact that it was documented and kept track of to show others the results of such care. But misleading people who read this thread that do not know much about discus and breeding by saying how good they look is very wrong. I'm not even talking about show or standard quality before others say I'm not looking for a show fish. I am talking about a healthy thriving fish. I have done this same experiment though not even close to this degree and I was not happy with the results. I was ashamed for what I had done and I felt sorry for the poor fish in the end. I ended up having to put all but one down because of health issues down the road.
    When things like this are done to cats, dogs, or horses it is called animal abuse. Why when it is done to fish is it called a wonderful and great experiment? Any other animal that went through horrifying conditions would be looked at with pity for what was done to it and these are being applauded by some. Some get mad because people who have cared for these fish for a long time get upset by what they see and let it be known how they feel. But hey they are just fish right? It doesn't matter how they are treated. Or does it?
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

Registered Member

Tara, thanks for your feedback and honesty. Good, bad, or ugly, it'll hopefully be documented for it's entirety. Good luck with your business.

Quote Originally Posted by TNT77 View Post
    Ok I wasn't going to post until people started saying the fish look great. They don't. They are half the size they should be at this age and there are at least two with popeye. I'm all for experiments and trying new ideas but this is not a new idea. I do like the fact that it was documented and kept track of to show others the results of such care. But misleading people who read this thread that do not know much about discus and breeding by saying how good they look is very wrong. I'm not even talking about show or standard quality before others say I'm not looking for a show fish. I am talking about a healthy thriving fish. I have done this same experiment though not even close to this degree and I was not happy with the results. I was ashamed for what I had done and I felt sorry for the poor fish in the end. I ended up having to put all but one down because of health issues down the road.
    When things like this are done to cats, dogs, or horses it is called animal abuse. Why when it is done to fish is it called a wonderful and great experiment? Any other animal that went through horrifying conditions would be looked at with pity for what was done to it and these are being applauded by some. Some get mad because people who have cared for these fish for a long time get upset by what they see and let it be known how they feel. But hey they are just fish right? It doesn't matter how they are treated. Or does it?
    +1....Well Said Tara
    Stephen
    NADA AUSTIN 2014 SOS Crew Texas

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast