AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

To be technical in the tank with pH of <6 you have no biological filtration cause aerobic bacteria can not live at a pH below 6.2 and you would need a massive amount of plants to scrub the water

And yes now that you mention it I was curious if it was raised using this method cause it does seem from the angle of the pic to be of poor quality

I'm not hating on your method, its just that without some sort evidence to back up the method I can't consider it any more than a hypothesis. Now if you had pics or video of quality adults raised in your method it would go a long way to proving the concept

Registered Member

Default Re: First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Congrats on your first attempt at breeding. By the looks of it, you've been at this hobby for quite some time. You must be enjoying the hobby. I'm very curious and interested at your unconventional methods of raising discus. thanks for posting. Wish you luck and success.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jdizon20 View Post
    Congrats on your first attempt at breeding. By the looks of it, you've been at this hobby for quite some time. You must be enjoying the hobby. I'm very curious and interested at your unconventional methods of raising discus. thanks for posting. Wish you luck and success.
    Hi jdizon20,

Thanks for the warn wishes and your interest. I'm not trying to encourage ammonia in the tank, but in posting my log and giving back to the forum, these are my findings thus far, and I can honestly say that most people are afraid of a little ammonia or nitrite or nitrate in their discus tanks. Heck, some are even afraid of a little algae and poop, both naturally occurring in the wild.

Hey Shawn.. In the beginning my tank wasn't cycled and I had large amounts is ammonia in my tank and my tap water spits out water with 1ppm ammonia.

For a while I didn't know better and when I did I panicked.

Fact if the matter is they survived and are happy now and flourishing. Discus are tough

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tobrienne View Post
    Hey Shawn.. In the beginning my tank wasn't cycled and I had large amounts is ammonia in my tank and my tap water spits out water with 1ppm ammonia.

For a while I didn't know better and when I did I panicked.

Fact if the matter is they survived and are happy now and flourishing. Discus are tough
    Tobrienne, as long as your waters ph isn't above 7, you're relatively safe. I'm blessed with NYC water, so no ammonia, chloramines, or high nitrates in our water. The water comes out of the tap at a low 60 TDS or so. It really is prime water for Discus. Thanks for commenting!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    They're about 5-6 inches TL.

The ammonia is indeed 4 ppm, not .4. This isn't the first time I've raised Discus to adults in ammonia levels that would make others cringe.

I'll explain why this works once I get some pictures up.
    Pics!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Here's a quick pic taken just minutes ago. Water level has gone from 5 gallon to about 7 now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    Here's a quick pic taken just minutes ago. Water level has gone from 5 gallon to about 7 now.
    Ok I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination and I understand that you are breeding in a very unconventional way but my first question is why? Why would you risk disease and harm to yor fry by breeding in such an unsanitary tank. The only thing I can come up with is that your attempting to breed a stronger strain of Discus by breeding in unsanitary conditions. I'm just curious about what your trying to accomplish..............Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    Ok I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination and I understand that you are breeding in a very unconventional way but my first question is why? Why would you risk disease and harm to yor fry by breeding in such an unsanitary tank. The only thing I can come up with is that your attempting to breed a stronger strain of Discus by breeding in unsanitary conditions. I'm just curious about what your trying to accomplish..............Josie
    or just could feel.. the "norm".. is really just overkill.. and not needed and wants to prove a point.. could be either way
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSkc2CWT2G8

Just made a very short video of the fry swimming around, exploring I guess.

Josie, to answer your question, I'm not trying to accomplish any super strains here, just enjoying the hobby and keeping a log of it as I go along.

I suppose the tank could use a cleaning

shawn, sorry it took me a bit to jump over from my thread and read yours. thanks for starting this thread! love the portion of "some are afraid of a little poop and ammonia" i go in and out of reading SD over time but i get the impression that people are afraid of the overall quality of discus decreasing due to raising fish in bad quality parameters, bad breeding stock, etc. yet the truth is that it's like that right now... i see them quite often! even fish that were originally high quality but became low quality due to LFS not taking good care of them. so when i see someone else just experimenting in their own realm with no intentions to sell "experimental" fish then they seem to be timid to post on here. now, maybe i can talk with SD administrators and see if there's a button we could click that would pop up a "disclaimer" at the beginning of our posts that read: "The following thread creator has no intention of distributing his or her fish. This is only a test. The thread creator is fully aware of what are acceptable parameters (even though they may not abide by them at all times) " :P

not knocking anyone on here since many have helped me before and offered advice and/or compliments, but "the world's not flat". the more columbus-types we got out there then the more tricks of the trade will be figured out (with probably 100x more blunders... comes with the territory though).

Registered Member

I'm in the same shoes as you pastry, lots of folks have helped me here on Simply, and I've met a lot of them in person, they really are great people. However, I don't understand this notion that breeding or the simple fact of caring for Discus must be followed a certain way. It almost seems cult-ish around here as of late. What ever happened to the guys that would experiment, explore, and expand on the hobby? What ever happened to the folks that did this for the hobby, and not always looking to raise NADA quality fish? Do they exist anymore?

Make no mistake, I don't make a living from raising my Discus, or will I get a check in the mail for having pretty Discus. This is a hobby for me, one that I enjoy more than others from time to time. I appreciate those that have commented with no ill intentions, but for those that look down upon others for doing things the unconventional way, need to get off your high horses and reflect back on how we all got here. Here in the US, we still celebrate Columbus day, you know - the explorer.

Registered Member

Sadly I agree with Pastry and Shawnu. Its sad because i think it turns off new hobbyist getting into discus. But I guess in the end, the forum is still a great source of information and I believe they all mean well and care for the hobby. We don't all have to agree. Best way to learn is to experience yourself, so personally i may seek advice, listen to all advice but in the end make my own decision. That to me is part of enjoying the hobby.

Registered Member

Hi OC,

As Jdizon20 has stated, the fact that most of the threads of breeding and caring for Discus is 100% bare bottom, almost sterile enviornments with 100% water changes, twice a day really does turn off a lot of new hobbyists. IMO, a good hobbyist will not only enjoy their hobby, but also make it affordable and introduce others to their hobby to have it continue. I find keeping and raising Discus no different. How many threads do you see Discus being raised in smaller than "ideal" tanks? You yourself saw the reaction and confusion to the 4 ppm of ammonia that I posted, and the 10G tank size perhaps even being a typo. This is the mind-set that is instilled on many members here, and perhaps everywhere else. Chad Hughes was forced to raise his contest fish under unconventional methods due to the expense of his water bills. Did he give up? No. He did a fantasitc job at raising his Discus. I don't see this any different.

P.S. Nitrite, while deadly in normal conditions, the addition of salt can prevent any ill effects from Nitrite poisoning.
    P.P.S. There are no Nitrite in any of my tanks, as this tank and all of my tanks are established tanks with Nitrate being the end result of the Nitrification Cycle. The sign that there is ammonia does not alone indicate an un-cycled tank.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I am curious now. What is the source of the ammonia then?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast