ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Default Re: First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    I don't understand this notion that breeding or the simple fact of caring for Discus must be followed a certain way. It almost seems cult-ish around here as of late. .
    Early days, Shawn. My impression based on the pics is that the parents spawned elsewhere, and you moved the eggs and one parent into the ten gallon. Is that right? Why, when they are 1 1/2 weeks old, is the tank, as small as it is, not full? Also, frozen bbs may not be very nutritious. It's the yolk sac on the bbs that is nutritious, not the bbs itself, and the yolk sac is pretty much absorbed before the day is out. One has no way of knowing how soon after hatching the bbs were frozen. Why not hatch them yourself? I'd like to see some updated pics.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jdizon20 View Post
    Sorry Shawn for hijacking your Breeding log with this off topic sharing of opinions.
    Jdizon,

No apologies needed, I'm finding this thread much more beneficial than I expected.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    Early days, Shawn. My impression based on the pics is that the parents spawned elsewhere, and you moved the eggs and one parent into the ten gallon. Is that right? Why, when they are 1 1/2 weeks old, is the tank, as small as it is, not full? Also, frozen bbs may not be very nutritious. It's the yolk sac on the bbs that is nutritious, not the bbs itself, and the yolk sac is pretty much absorbed before the day is out. One has no way of knowing how soon after hatching the bbs were frozen. Why not hatch them yourself? I'd like to see some updated pics.
    Hey Martha! Long time!

No, the parents were not moved, nor was the babies. They were spawned, hatched, and free-swam in the same 10G tank. Matter of fact, it's the lucky tank I got from one of the NEDA meetings.

As for hatching BBS, you bring up a great point that I did not know regarding yolks. I had some BBS eggs around, and did intact try to hatch my own. Unfortunately, I failed twice, and attribute the failure to expired eggs.

I've placed an order for a few grams just recently. Probably won't arrive in time, but it is what it is.

Take care!

P.S. Pics to come.

Why did you remove one of the parents shortly after laying eggs, and why is the tank not full?

Registered Member

As promised, pic taken few seconds ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Why did you remove one of the parents shortly after laying eggs, and why is the tank not full?
    Hey Martha,

One of the parents was pretty aggressive towards day 3 or 4(ready to spawn again maybe?) so it was removed. It didn't really do much in terms of attaching anyway, so I saw no benefit in keeping them together.

Perhaps a full tank is relative? What would constitute as a full 10G for you?

Seven gallons in a 10 gallon tank is 70% full. I keep water levels just below the glass cover. How many fry do you have, by the way?

Registered Member

Seven gallons in a 10 gallon tank is 70% full. I keep water levels just below the glass cover. How many fry do you have, by the way?
    Haha! Too early for me Martha, forgive me for my silliness. I assumed full as in stocking level. The water is indeed still at 70% full. It's not 100% because I didn't want the babies getting lost. They look like they are starting to wander off on their own now in search of food, so I may be able to boost it to 90 or 100% soon

Fry count is roughly 25-30.

They might get lost in a 100 gallon tank.

Shawnhu, since you are trying to prove that a method of breeding/raising fry different from what almost everyone else recommends I think it would be of great benefit to have more pictorial evidence of what you are doing. This way if it works there is the documentation to back up what you are doing. Why don't you post pictures of the following...
    1) A picture of the tank that shows the entire tank so that everyone can see that it is a 10 G that mom and fry are in
    2) A picture of the test tubes with the results of testing a) pH b) nitrItes c) nitrAtes d) ammonia (you will have to hold up the color chart for each test next to the test tube that corresponds with the results
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Registered Member

Hey OC, it was never my intention to prove anything, but this thread has certainly evolved into that. Here's some pics to entertain those that do not believe.

Tank photo to follow.

Registered Member

Here's pics of the tank and fish.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wjmulder View Post
    I can't believe it's come to this, maybe OC is the SD police
    Lol, I'm sure she didn't mean any harm by her recommendations. But yes, I'm a little shocked at the outcome myself. It is what it is here with the group we have. We're all miniature scientists that require proof. Either way, I harbor no I'll feelings against anyone thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Wjmulder View Post
    I can't believe it's come to this, maybe OC is the SD police
    LOL. No, I am not the SD police. I think anyone can raise their fish how they want but if someone is doing something that is different than the recommended way (such as breeding in a 10 G with 4ppm ammonia) and thinks that it is going to work then I think there should be more documentation for everyone's benefit. This way if it works we know how to duplicate it and if it doesn't we know not to do that.
    I'm not doubting shawnhu's honesty in this matter, it's just that I have had a lot of science, stats, research methods and experimental methodolgy classes with my major and I feel like without more documentation it does not help anyone be able to learn from this.
    The current contest requires regular updates with pictures for people to learn, I think threads like this would be of benefit if they were asked to do the same thing for the same reason.
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

I agree with OC, she's not asking for proof she's hoping you will validate your method and keep a photo log of the results to better serve discus keeping community. If your method works great maybe it could become standard someday and if not great then we know for sure

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast