AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Dumb Blonde" Ploy Plays Off

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default "Dumb Blonde" Ploy Plays Off

Long, long day today. My mom went into the hospital for some long awaited back surgery and serious at that. She was having lots of pain and the L-5 needed to be fixed in place with a plate in front and rods/screws in the back of the vertebra.

So she handled the surgery well and spend the afternoon recovering in the her hospital room. The floor nurse was suppose to stop by every hour and check for pain, her position and other stuff but in the time we were there the nurse never stopped by and the two machines (IV pump and heart/PB) both needed attention. One was in a stopped position and the other had readings all over the place. So one tech stopped in and fixed the heart/BP monitor but was unsure of the pump so told me to ask for a nurse with the call button if one didn't stop by in 10 mins.

So 10 minutes roll by, no nurse So I paste a smile on my face, walk out to the nurses station, tell the attending nurse that my mom was in room so and so and the IV pump was stopped and had been all afternoon. If she would tell me which buttons to push I would be happy to try and start it.

The nurse looked at me for a full 10 seconds and spat out that a nurse would tend to it right away. I say thank you and walk away with a smile on my face. That nurse was in my mom's room in like two minutes tending that machine.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member Coffee1stLife2nd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina

Default Re: "Dumb Blonde" Ploy Plays Off

sorry to hear about your mom. Hope all works out well for her, Glad you were there to monitor her care.
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee1stLife2nd View Post
    sorry to hear about your mom. Hope all works out well for her, Glad you were there to monitor her care.
    Thanks, I was not leaving until those machines were working correctly but she is doing quite well. Has a years worth of healing to do.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Good thinking Pat! I will remember that one if I ever need to do the same thing. Hope your mom has a full and quick recovery.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

Must have been a Obama Care sanction hospital..

And how much is being paid for this (non) care? I would not have done as you did. I'd have gone out raising holy hell because my mother had not received the care she was promised. There is NO EXCUSE for that.

I hope your mother continues to do well. Back surgery isn't a walk in the park even for young people.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Long, long day today. My mom went into the hospital for some long awaited back surgery and serious at that. She was having lots of pain and the L-5 needed to be fixed in place with a plate in front and rods/screws in the back of the vertebra.

So she handled the surgery well and spend the afternoon recovering in the her hospital room. The floor nurse was suppose to stop by every hour and check for pain, her position and other stuff but in the time we were there the nurse never stopped by and the two machines (IV pump and heart/PB) both needed attention. One was in a stopped position and the other had readings all over the place. So one tech stopped in and fixed the heart/BP monitor but was unsure of the pump so told me to ask for a nurse with the call button if one didn't stop by in 10 mins.

So 10 minutes roll by, no nurse So I paste a smile on my face, walk out to the nurses station, tell the attending nurse that my mom was in room so and so and the IV pump was stopped and had been all afternoon. If she would tell me which buttons to push I would be happy to try and start it.

The nurse looked at me for a full 10 seconds and spat out that a nurse would tend to it right away. I say thank you and walk away with a smile on my face. That nurse was in my mom's room in like two minutes tending that machine.

Dam Pat your nice I would have went completely insane she would have looked at me more then ten seconds.....LOL....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member

sorry that you had so much trouble at the hospital. I hope they kept her pain down to a minimum.

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks guys but it was not a manner of being nice but getting some action. This is a horrible hospital and the tech who had been in the room twice during the day had asked a nurse to step in like three times and no action. The heart/BP monitor had a reading of over 200 on both the high and low blood measurements and no one responded. Her BP were not that high as the readings were all over the place. Basically the machine was not reading correctly but still.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 08-08-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    Dam Pat your nice I would have went completely insane she would have looked at me more then ten seconds.....LOL....Josie
    Josie, I could see you punching her in the nose. I wanted too.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    And how much is being paid for this (non) care? I would not have done as you did. I'd have gone out raising holy hell because my mother had not received the care she was promised. There is NO EXCUSE for that.

I hope your mother continues to do well. Back surgery isn't a walk in the park even for young people.
    No Liz it isn't, especially when it involves any of the L numberd vertebra plus my mom is 81 years old.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by zimmjeff View Post
    sorry that you had so much trouble at the hospital. I hope they kept her pain down to a minimum.
    Me too Jeff. She was quite chipper when I left.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Floppy Fin's View Post
    Must have been a Obama Care sanction hospital..
    Maybe FF

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Good thinking Pat! I will remember that one if I ever need to do the same thing. Hope your mom has a full and quick recovery.
    Barb
    Thanks Barb

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Josie, I could see you punching her in the nose. I wanted too.
    It would have been and ugly sight.....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast