AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help

Default Please Help

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started : juvie discus has what appears to be ich on tale fin

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds):

A sprinkle of white on tale fin of one of my four discus

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

I began a quick cure regime, 1 drop per gallon, after a 75%wc. I noticed all four fish in distress. Thinking it was from the qc, I did a major wc to rid the tank of the qc. They got no better, one died when I realized that I hadnt added the prime. I added it, the three living discus revived and are now back to normal. However, the one discus still has the white spots on his tale fin. I am afraid to treat again after the stress they have been through.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish: 60 gallons, 3 discus, 2 bolivian rams....I removed 9 cardnial tetras, 3 cory cat fish, so that I could medicate with qc

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50% wc 5 days a week, tank has been up for 5 months

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp : 86

- ph :7

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 2

- well water: no

- municipal water: yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently :

yes, I added a java fern 1 week ago, and 1 cory cat fish that was in qt for 3 weeks

Default Re: Please Help

I was told to redo my form and post it in this forum

Hi Kris,
    Can you post a picture of the spots?

I think the input that everybody gave you on your other post is very solid, and you should up your water changes like they said and give it a little time, don't rush in to medicating. I've only been keeping discus for less then a year but have kept all sorts of fish for the past 20 years and the first line of treatment for most ailments (especially those that aren't confirmed) is improving water quality. Just try to relax, do your water changes and keep an eye on the situation.

Your right !!!! Is it reasonable to up the temp (I keep it at 86 normaly), and if you advise me to up it, how high would be benificial to the ich, or whatever it is?
    And if the ich (?) gets worse, what would you advise at that point?

Here is a thread that has some pictures of what are pretty common white spots on discus fins.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...te-spot-on-fin

If it was me I wouldn't up the temp from 86 right now, if it does turn out to be ich 86 should be high enough to keep ich from reproducing for the time being, but if you end up treating for ich I would try the heat/salt method before medicating. (lots of good articles about it on the internet, just google treating ich with heat and salt)

Kris, can you get a photo?
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I'll try that today ashen I get home from work......it looks just like ich!

Registered Member

up the temp lots of water changes try not to stress the fish a stress zime helps

How long do you recomend that i sit on it before medicating?What do you think of salt???

I havent seen any pictures so I can't say. Could be nothing at all. White spots pop up from time to time, some stay permanently. Someone says white spot and everyone automatically turn to ick.
    Visit Eddie's Place

That's encouraging....it hasn't gotten any worse..wouldn't ich have gotten worse by now?
    I'm still trying to get a photo that clear enough for you to see. I'm still doing 50% wc daily, and hoping for the best!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by krislewis3 View Post
    That's encouraging....it hasn't gotten any worse..wouldn't ich have gotten worse by now?
    I'm still trying to get a photo that clear enough for you to see. I'm still doing 50% wc daily, and hoping for the best!!!!
    Just keep up with the WCs and monitor. Get a picture when you can.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Will do!!

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...?ts=1337963366

Ok guys, here is a photo of the fish with ich???? on it's tail!!!!! Since I posted the disease form, it hasn't changed for the better, or worse!!! I continue to do 50% wc daily, and I've added salt, and I'm keeping the temp at it's normal 86 degrees. I hope you can advise me better after viewing this photo. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, that picture isn't going to help much. It's far too small to make out any detail on the fins or the body. We have to be able to see the white spots fairly well.

Most aquariusts are familiar with ich (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) as it is very common in freshwater and saltwater. So most will identify any white spot as ich. However, the temperatures at which we generally keep discus (85F) make it very unlikely for ich to reproduce. Not impossible - but pretty unlikely. Take a read here.

http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/a.../pdf/476fs.pdf
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006

That's why folks are asking you for a picture. See if you can get a better picture.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by krislewis3 View Post
    http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...?ts=1337963366

Ok guys, here is a photo of the fish with ich???? on it's tail!!!!! Since I posted the disease form, it hasn't changed for the better, or worse!!! I continue to do 50% wc daily, and I've added salt, and I'm keeping the temp at it's normal 86 degrees. I hope you can advise me better after viewing this photo. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast