ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TEN MINUTES CAN SAVE A LIFE

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: TEN MINUTES CAN SAVE A LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by MadDiscus View Post
    if you don't mind, i have questions regard to moving bed. if you do, please delete it. I am afraid of diseases for share equipment between tanks, thats why i have hose for each tank. how are you maintain moving bed? do you use the same one for any other tanks when you do WC?

PS: I think 1 of my dead one maybe because i dont have moving bed when i did a large WC and wipe down.

Thank you,
    tony

Im sorry I'm not really clear on what your question is if you could just rephrase it a little that would be great. And I don't delete post unless they are SPAM I feel everyone has a right to their opinion.....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Tony

Thank you Josie for your reply. I am wondering, do you move that moving bed bottle from tank to tank when you do major wc or you have it in every tank or how do you use moving bed? hope this makes more sense
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

I enjoyed that video, I look forward to seeing yours Josie and how this can be transfered into a simple design for aquarium use. It appears a very simply system with airation? Im very curious and would love to get these up and running in my tanks. Cant wait for the update Josie. You and the mad scientist do it again!!
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadDiscus View Post
    Thank you Josie for your reply. I am wondering, do you move that moving bed bottle from tank to tank when you do major wc or you have it in every tank or how do you use moving bed? hope this makes more sense

Oh I get what your asking, I have a moving bed bottle in each grow-out tank I don't move it.......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDrew View Post
    I enjoyed that video, I look forward to seeing yours Josie and how this can be transfered into a simple design for aquarium use. It appears a very simply system with airation? Im very curious and would love to get these up and running in my tanks. Cant wait for the update Josie. You and the mad scientist do it again!!

Thanks Drew I'm going to try to post a video of how to make it and how it works.......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Real Name
    Tony

great, i'll definately look into it.

thank you Josie,
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Josie, saw quite a few videos online for the K1 kaldness bio-media moving bed filters. Just in case anyone wants to get a glimpse while you make your video.. They take a little while before they actually start working, but once the media activates, everyone seems to really like it.

BTW, that is a beautiful group of grow-outs you've got in that tank, they look truly amazing.. Thanks for sharing.
    Jorge Q

Registered Member

nice video Josie, now its confirmed that what routine i use on my tank it good. (I clean the tank the same way with hoses and stuff.. glad that i am doing something right.)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAngels View Post
    Josie, saw quite a few videos online for the K1 kaldness bio-media moving bed filters. Just in case anyone wants to get a glimpse while you make your video.. They take a little while before they actually start working, but once the media activates, everyone seems to really like it.

BTW, that is a beautiful group of grow-outs you've got in that tank, they look truly amazing.. Thanks for sharing.
    your exactly right you need to put the moving bed bottle in with a cycled tank and then wait it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to seed but once its seeded it works like a charm.......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Josie what a great video! and those babies look fantastic
    so....I'll get in line with a question (LOL).
    I've limited my WC level to the top of my sponge filters, unless doing a filter cleaning/squeezing out (BIG water change, typically 1x a week). the reason being that particulate matter gets all over the place when I'm filling back up! I'd love to know a solution to this . your tank looks so particle-free!
    humph.

sorry to bother you with a silly question!
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Quote Originally Posted by shoveltrash View Post
    Josie what a great video! and those babies look fantastic
    so....I'll get in line with a question (LOL).
    I've limited my WC level to the top of my sponge filters, unless doing a filter cleaning/squeezing out (BIG water change, typically 1x a week). the reason being that particulate matter gets all over the place when I'm filling back up! I'd love to know a solution to this . your tank looks so particle-free!
    humph.

sorry to bother you with a silly question!

Ok Trish heres my trick don't tell anyone....I will try to describe it the best I can. I clean the sponges everyday or every other day but instead of using the tank water and squeezing the sponge back in its own crap I lift it straight up as to not disturb the particles stuck to the sponge. I take the sponge to my utility sink and spray the outside only to release the particles off the sponge. i use a python adapter with a very short hose on my sink I then rush the water out holding the end with my thumb making a sprayer. I then spray all sides with tap water (same temperature) until the outsides clean then i let drip dry and replace back into the tank. Most of the good bacteria is still in tacked inside the sponge. I also use my moving bed bottles in my tanks which i never clean so the good bacteria is always available....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Ok Trish heres my trick don't tell anyone....I will try to describe it the best I can. I clean the sponges everyday or every other day but instead of using the tank water and squeezing the sponge back in its own crap I lift it straight up as to not disturb the particles stuck to the sponge. I take the sponge to my utility sink and spray the outside only to release the particles off the sponge. i use a python adapter with a very short hose on my sink I then rush the water out holding the end with my thumb making a sprayer. I then spray all sides with tap water (same temperature) until the outsides clean then i let drip dry and replace back into the tank. Most of the good bacteria is still in tacked inside the sponge. I also use my moving bed bottles in my tanks which i never clean so the good bacteria is always available....Josie
    THANKS!!!!
    I won't tell a soul! tee hee
    off to check your bed bottles thread....................
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

This moving bed filter is not a new technology. Fluidized filters containing sand and other media have been around for decades. They provide a great mechanism for controlling ammonia and beneficial bacteria grow-out. I run fluidized sand filters via a Nextreef MR1 media reactor on all my fresh water tanks. They do take 4-6 weeks to initially cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by gwrace View Post
    This moving bed filter is not a new technology. Fluidized filters containing sand and other media have been around for decades. They provide a great mechanism for controlling ammonia and beneficial bacteria grow-out. I run fluidized sand filters via a Nextreef MR1 media reactor on all my fresh water tanks. They do take 4-6 weeks to initially cycle.
    It sure isn't a new technology but putting them in bottles is such a great way to integrate into your system.......thanks for your impute....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Very cool video Josie.
    Kraig

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast