ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo Tour of My Fish Room

Default Photo Tour of My Fish Room

I thought I'd share a photo tour of the current state of my fish room.
    Like many hobbyists, my fishroom is located in the basement of my home, so it doubles as my work area and mancave.

Currenty, the only source of water I have in the basement is this hose hooked up to the main water line. I really need to invest in a shop sink/washtub. Especially since my wife gets angry when I dump BBS down the kitchen sink.

Here is a view of the basement with the stairs to my right. Notice the chest freezer on the right and my workbench on the left in the distance. That is where I drill tanks and assemble PVC etc.

Here is a shot of the tanks I currently have setup. There are 7.
    1 x 10G reef
    3 x 10G livebearer and dwarf shrimp tanks
    1 x 20G discus breeding tank
    1 x 75G Community Tank
    1 x 55G discus grow out tank

I have an old desk I built that I currently use for bagging fish and BBS hatching. I have a mini fridge down here also to keep fish food and more importantly, beer.

Here a shot behind a row of tanks. The cords need to be labeled and organized yet, I'll get to that someday. I also have a drain plumbed to my sump hole for easier water changes.

Finally got arounf to counting this batch of fry, I think there are about 65 +- 3. I need to split off my 30 contest fish this week. The problem I have is space. I'll probably end up dividing the tank into thirds until I can find homes for the others. (or get another tank)

I make up water in this 35Gallon trash can every day for my daily water changes on the 55G tank. I use a pump and heater for circulation overnight, and dose with Prime before adding to the tank.

This is the 75G, I guess it is a community display tank. This is where the Discus where before they paired off. The tankmates are bushynose plecos and cory cats. This is the view from my chair.

The next two shots are of my 10 gallon system. They are all drilled with overflows, so I can just pump in water for changes. I just use a central air pump and sponge filters. These 3 have hamburg mattenfilters though.

In the far corner is the sump hole where my drain is plumbed. I also have a slow 25GPD 3 stage RO unit that I use to soften my water for breeding. This unit gives me a TDS reading of 10, which is good enough for what I need at the moment. I also store water for the smaller tanks in 18G Plastic totes. Hopefully someday I can pony up and install a laundry tub/sink so I can jusy refill from the faucet.

That's my fish room. Thanks for looking.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member
    http://www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com/

Real Name
    Tony

Default Re: Photo Tour of My Fish Room

really cool, Joshvito.

thank you for sharing.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Very nice. I can see at least thirty tanks down there in the near future.
    Thanks so much for sharing. I really like the overflows.
    Kraig

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Come Discus View Post
    Very nice. I can see at least thirty tanks down there in the near future.
    Thanks so much for sharing. I really like the overflows.
    I would love to have 30 tanks in the future. My current restriction is my water holding tank(garbage can) , and well..my wife.
    Last edited by joshvito; 08-16-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: grammar
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Very nice fishroom/man cave! I bet you spend a lot of quality time down there Josh! I hope your wife visits once in awhile? Maybe you need a second chair?
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshvito View Post
    I would love to have 30 tanks in the future. My current restriction is my water holding tank(garbage can) , and well..my wife.
    My wife keeps asking me, "Kraig do you know what they call someone with one more tank than you"? I will say, "what honey"? "A divorce person" she replies!!!
    d
    Many divorced people in this hobby for sure.
    Kraig

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Very nice fishroom/man cave! I bet you spend a lot of quality time down there Josh! I hope your wife visits once in awhile? Maybe you need a second chair?
    Barb
    The wife likes to come and see the "babies" and she helps me feed the tanks while she is there. She doesn't care so much about the number of tanks, just the added utility costs and excess time spent ignoring her.

I probably wont expand until I can decrease my WC time. It takes me quite a while to refill the tanks because I need a faster pump.

The chair is actually a hand me down from the inlaws, that we can't throw out, but doesn't go with the decor of the house. At some point, I'm sure I will acquire a sofa as a replacement
    Last edited by joshvito; 08-17-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

I like the chair!!!
    If I were to have a 'fish room' per se, a lounging/viewing chair would be necessity! sofa would be even better

"Kraig do you know what they call someone with one more tank than you"? I will say, "what honey"? "A divorce person" she replies!!!
    Kraig I believe I had that conversation with your wife in Atlanta LOLOL.

I'm always impressed by rooms like this - I have NO plumbing expertise, so cannot imagine setting something like that up.
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Registered Member

I have to stand up for all of the women out there that have the fish keeping in their blood. I know what you guys are talking about. There are LADY'S out there that don't have the fish keeping in their hearts. But there are some like my self that wishes that SHE can find a guy that loves or likes fish keeping as much as I do. So keep in mind that their are Lady's out there too that have the same interests as you guys. I know it is hard to find a partner that is in the fish keeping. Us gals have the same problem too. JMO

Nice place for a fishroom, and nice fry! I tap into the washing machine lines to get both hot and cold water to the fish room. I put in one of those plastic sinks, hooked up the water lines, and ran a pipe from the sink into the sump hole. It was a cheap fix, but anything I don't want in the pond out back has to go upstairs into the kitchen sink. Also, when I do the laundry I have to flip the switch on the water lines to get water to the washer. Your wife might not like that.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Looking good.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Always fun to see fishromm!
    Great work!

For some reason I can't see the pics. But I'm sure they're great! Sounds like a great project. Like the beer in the min fridge too..
    For me I'd probably do a mini freezer and a coffee pot.. then I would have no reason to leave the fish room.
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dpete9 View Post
    For some reason I can't see the pics. But I'm sure they're great! Sounds like a great project. Like the beer in the min fridge too..
    For me I'd probably do a mini freezer and a coffee pot.. then I would have no reason to leave the fish room.
    Sorry about that, my web server was down for a day or so, you should be able to see the pictures now.
    -Josh
    TFCEC member

Registered Member

Are you selling any of your fry? I also live in Hamburg NY (and I do web developement too, we have alot in common!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast