ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another great way I've found to kill discus

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Yet another great way I've found to kill discus

Very Sorry Keith. I don't think you will have a problem with the Linear Pump. In central systems many will use two water pumps. Often the power consumption of the two pumps is less than one pump rated to do the work of the two and when one pump fails of course you are running on one leg,but still running. I guess this could be done with air pumps too?
    Kraig

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Given what you lost Kraig, I have NOTHING to complain about. I really wish I had purchased a few of those Wattley's before your incident. I'm just sooooo slow about adding any stock most of the time. I lose out a lot of times, but it does keep my wife happier. That's especially true now that I have to divide my RTs to not run out of tank space.

Paul - it's really tough on the spirits when there aren't any good spirits in the house either. I lost one more, but given I had 4 or 5 that were dark I guess I shouldn't be too surprised or complain too much. Rick's PM to me about using MB said to just follow the package instructions. Of course they say to put the carbon back into your filtration in 3 to 5 days, so they're assuming no WCs up until then, lol. Guess I should have pushed Rick for better instructions. I redosed with MB after tonight's WC and I'll probably call it good at that.

The remaining fish are charging the glass at the top of the tank looking for food, so I'm not worried about the majority of them at this point. Just waiting to see what happens with the last few darker ones.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

Sorry to hear this Keith. Hope they make it for you.
    ~Ben

Discus and Planted tank obsessed.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

In case anyone wondered, here's what ended up happening. I treated with MB for a few days and the 4 or 5 fish that were dark improved slightly. After stopping the MB they got worse and I debated just culling them. For whatever reason I decided to start up the MB again instead and continued treating with it up through Monday. Last night after the daily WC for the first time they remained looking good without the MB so I discontinued it. Tonight's WC brought the same results, so they've all looked good without MB for over 24 hours now and I'm pretty sure all is going to be well from here on out.
    President - North American Discus Association

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    In case anyone wondered, here's what ended up happening. I treated with MB for a few days and the 4 or 5 fish that were dark improved slightly. After stopping the MB they got worse and I debated just culling them. For whatever reason I decided to start up the MB again instead and continued treating with it up through Monday. Last night after the daily WC for the first time they remained looking good without the MB so I discontinued it. Tonight's WC brought the same results, so they've all looked good without MB for over 24 hours now and I'm pretty sure all is going to be well from here on out.
    I am happy for you that they seem to be making it through this terrible event.
    I think a lot of us can use this as a learning experience. Your situation has sparked a question about the sick fish. I am curious how this might affect their growth and general health in the future. I have no idea what your plan is for this batch; but, if you keep them, would it be possible if you could keep us updated on their development as compared to the rest of the group?
    Thanks
    Anik

Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been. - Jimmy Buffet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12