AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Need Advice

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stuart

Default Need Advice

First I used to have discus in planted tank back in 70's new technics since then.
    So what is the safest way to disinfect my just acquired used tank and eheim filter.
    Got 4 juvenials last October raised them in a 40 gal BB tank and now need to use the larger tank 80 gal & eheim 2217.
    Also I would like to insulate the tank any suggestions don't want any condensation between foam and tank and to put a background in the tank scares the h@$% out of me.
    Good advice on this site, been reading it since I got back into discus
    TIA
    Stu

Real Name
    Wes
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: Need Advice

A little bleach will do the job. Set the tank up, fill it with water, add a little bleach (you don't need much - less than a cup), and let it run for a day or so. Then drain it, rinse a couple times, and you should be okay. When you refill it, add a double dose of dechlorinator like Seachem Prime or Kordon Amquel+. You want to make sure you don't smell bleach anymore. You can also drain the tank after the initial bleaching and let it completely air dry. Then refill, add the dechlor, and go from there.

I personally use potassium permanganate to sterilize tanks because you can neutralize it with hydrogen peroxide then just refill.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    A little bleach will do the job. Set the tank up, fill it with water, add a little bleach (you don't need much - less than a cup), and let it run for a day or so. Then drain it, rinse a couple times, and you should be okay. When you refill it, add a double dose of dechlorinator like Seachem Prime or Kordon Amquel+. You want to make sure you don't smell bleach anymore. You can also drain the tank after the initial bleaching and let it completely air dry. Then refill, add the dechlor, and go from there.

I personally use potassium permanganate to sterilize tanks because you can neutralize it with hydrogen peroxide then just refill.
    Any Ideas about the insulating.
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by donnacona View Post
    Any Ideas about the insulating.
    Stu
    It aint pretty,but you can get a wrap,looks like silver bubble wrap at Menards,I think its called celotex.I use it on all my tanks,but their in the basement.And for the bottom,have it sit on a sheet of Styrofoam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

I use that in my big planted it is reflective, greens from plants get reflected.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyplants View Post
    I use that in my big planted it is reflective, greens from plants get reflected.
    Is that the stuff that you wrap hot water tanks in to save on energy.
    How would you attach it and would it make my tank look bad people will see it when they visit.
    Stu

I don't use it on my upstairs tank.Assuming you keep your house heated normally,I wouldn't worry.My basement is chilly,walls and floor are around 60,so thanks why I use it down there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    I don't use it on my upstairs tank.Assuming you keep your house heated normally,I wouldn't worry.My basement is chilly,walls and floor are around 60,so thanks why I use it down there.
    I got everything disinfected with bleach and rinsed, I will go to the hardware and see what they have to insulate the tank.
    Thanks guys
    Stu