ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Updates on my "Little Ones"

Default Re: Updates on my "Little Ones"

Monsters! Holy smokes. Biggest fish I've ever seen.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

LOL, that's what I say every time I pass the tank Eddie. I never expected them to get so big, was thinking they'd reach 6" and that 11 or 12 of them would fit nicely in my 115g tank. The darned things didn't get the memo about "Expected growth rates of Discus".
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    LOL, that's what I say every time I pass the tank Eddie. I never expected them to get so big, was thinking they'd reach 6" and that 11 or 12 of them would fit nicely in my 115g tank. The darned things didn't get the memo about "Expected growth rates of Discus".
    Makes those inches look like millimeters.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Makes those inches look like millimeters.
    ROFLMBO!

Now to see if I can duplicate my success with my new batch of Golden Sunshines from Johns Discus. So far so good, averaging about an inch of growth per month... from 4" to 6". And yep, there's a runt in this batch too, so I just tell her to ignore the taunts of the big guys and that she'll grow up eventually. =)
    Toni

120g - 10

ROFLMBO!

Now to see if I can duplicate my success with my new batch of Golden Sunshines from Johns Discus. So far so good, averaging about an inch of growth per month... from 4" to 6". And yep, there's a runt in this batch too, so I just tell her to ignore the taunts of the big guys and that she'll grow up eventually. =)
    Thats pretty good growth, an inch a month from 4 to 6.
    Visit Eddie's Place

I was pretty surprised that they grew as quickly as the Stendker's did for me last year. It's actually 10 weeks and 2 inches of growth, so slightly less than an inch a month.

The funniest part of my adventures in plopping them into my big tank was that they've been housed in a 55g grow out tank in my laundry room, so there really was no way to compare sizes to the main tank in the family room.

So I picked up the carnation and trotted her out to the main tank and dropped her in. Went back, fished out the largest of the GS, trotted back and plopped him, and then stepped back and did a double take when I realized that the carnation was swimming with my FlachenSS and didn't look any different in size! I had guesstimated that the carnation was about 6". Turns out she's 7"... a 1/2" shorter than the FlachenSS.

Just goes to show ya that you can't eyeball the sizes, you really need to grab them out and use a measuring tape. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10

True! Got any pics of golden sunshines?
    Visit Eddie's Place

Sorta kinda, they're in the first set of pics that I posted in this thread. There's Rosie, a pink blush GS, Winkin and Blinkin, the truly golden colored GS, and Nod, a more orange and very spotted GS. The GS are VERY round and pretty, and the carnation looks like a torpedo lately. Just in the past month she grew lengthwise and didn't add much height. I'm hoping she'll round up again the way my Marlboro did after big growth spurts last year.
    Toni

120g - 10

Are all those giant fish from one breeder? Are they some sort of jumbos? Whats the secret!!!!!!!!

- oz

Hahaha Oscar, no secrets, honest!

The first and second batch are Stendker's from Hans Discus. The older group is now 18 months old and are the largest, the younger group of Stendker's is 14 months old, still growing and 3 of them are already jumbos.
    The third group is about 6 - 7 months old and from Johns Discus. They are working hard to catch up to the big guys and since they aren't Stendker's, if they end up being jumbo's I'm gonna starting selling my "magic" water and "special" discus food (flakes, FDBW's and beefheart).
    Toni

120g - 10

They just got 2 feedings of variety flakes, 2 feedings of frozen beefheart and 2 feedings of FDBW's per day when they were growing out. I also did 2 water changes per day and that was it. I was as shocked as anyone when they didn't stop growing at 1 year old and continued to grow for another 6 months!
    I was curious how much sleep time they got at night?
    Bob Daniel Hopkinsville, KY

Registered Member

those are truely massive fish! great job!
    Albino Addicted ATM!
    ARSG's and albino royal blues
    juvenile piwow red turk collection

7.5inch runt Inspiring grow outs, gr8 job!!!

Here ya go:

Attachment 75651

Attachment 75652

Same guy in his tank with the Marlboro right behind him. He's my largest discus at just under 9"
    Attachment 75654

And this is my Red Scribbelt. I didn't measure him that night because he was guarding eggs, but he's somewhere in between the size of the MR and RS
    Attachment 75655

And the "runt" of the litter:

Attachment 75653

Thanks for the compliments Allwin! Those pics are over a year old now and I keep telling myself that I need to grab my measuring tape AND camera next time I measure them so that I can post the results. I measured everyone at the end of August but it was a busy day of moving everyone from tank to tank so I just measured fast and plopped them all in their new homes. I didn't have my husband around to play cameraman that day. LOL

For me it's a bit nostalgic and sad to see pics of all those guys. Had a REALLY bad year last and lost nearly all of them before a couple of good friends convinced me to cull the problematic discus and start fresh with ONLY healthy discus.

I still have the Marlboro and he's no longer the biggest in the tank, but he's still the roundest show stopper you'd ever want to see. He's been eclipsed in size by the slightly younger flachen from group two. That flachen is well over 9" long, just not 9" tall. LOL

I also still have my original red turq who is about 8.5" and the prettiest of the golden sunshines. He is now about 18 months old and at last measuring (third week of August) was 8" exactly.

There's also a new batch of Stendkers!! I can't take credit for growing them to their first 6"...Hans did that for me. Largest is now 7.5" and heading for 8", though he's still very young so he probably won't hit the 9" range for another 9 months or so.

And then there's my new babies. They are filling out fast and hang with the big boys since they outgrew first their baby tank and then their 55 gallon tank.
    Toni

120g - 10

Nice to see, your back in bang. Noticed, u got good writing skills and my guess u should be a novelist In future, if u have any 8inch runts, just throw it out to people like me,lol..

Thanks for the compliments Allwin! Those pics are over a year old now and I keep telling myself that I need to grab my measuring tape AND camera next time I measure them so that I can post the results. I measured everyone at the end of August but it was a busy day of moving everyone from tank to tank so I just measured fast and plopped them all in their new homes. I didn't have my husband around to play cameraman that day. LOL

For me it's a bit nostalgic and sad to see pics of all those guys. Had a REALLY bad year last and lost nearly all of them before a couple of good friends convinced me to cull the problematic discus and start fresh with ONLY healthy discus.

I still have the Marlboro and he's no longer the biggest in the tank, but he's still the roundest show stopper you'd ever want to see. He's been eclipsed in size by the slightly younger flachen from group two. That flachen is well over 9" long, just not 9" tall. LOL

I also still have my original red turq who is about 8.5" and the prettiest of the golden sunshines. He is now about 18 months old and at last measuring (third week of August) was 8" exactly.

There's also a new batch of Stendkers!! I can't take credit for growing them to their first 6"...Hans did that for me. Largest is now 7.5" and heading for 8", though he's still very young so he probably won't hit the 9" range for another 9 months or so.

And then there's my new babies. They are filling out fast and hang with the big boys since they outgrew first their baby tank and then their 55 gallon tank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast