AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exotic Discus - Oak Forest IL

Default Exotic Discus - Oak Forest IL

Site: http://exoticdiscus.wix.com/exotic-discus#!
    Import Discus from Malaysia

My Review:
    I saw their site a while ago from someone mentioning about Exotic Discus on this forum and decided to visit them when they had some Red Tiger Turq just imported in. I was amazed at what I saw and was surprise at some of the quality he had available. I was thinking before I got there that they might be LFS quality discus but I was wrong. I've order from Kenny before and his Discus are right up there in quality with Kenny's. That's saying a lot already about his discus. Anyway, Jeff the owner was also a very nice guy and his customer service were top notch. We had a great time just talking about Discus and about his business. It's definitely nice to have someone locally who imports so I can now get my imported Asian discus without having to pay for shipping. Jeff is also working on getting me a special Discus that I've been searching for so when he has it he will notify me. Those are the little things that keeps you going back. I recommend to everyone local to check them out, If you are not local still check him out as he do ship. Website is listed above.

Rating: 5/5 Very Satisfy

Here are some photos of the Tiger's I got from Exotic Discus

QT Shot

After QT
    Discus 1 [5"]

Discus 2 [4.5"]
    Last edited by Kal-El; 09-19-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Default Re: Exotic Discus - Oak Forest IL

I actually got a Red Tiger Turq from Jeff as well. He gets in some great fish!

Registered Member

I also got 4 from him. He is a really nice guy and helped me with a little problem I had. Answered my emails and also called me. GREAT customer service. I have had mine since August and I am in the process of moving them to a 75 gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by kalelhawj View Post
    I've order from Kenny before and his Discus are right up there in quality with Kenny's. That's saying a lot already about his discus.
    i disagree completly with this statment.ive seen a bunch of his fish mine included.alot dont grow like u think they would.compared to other fish of same size that are all bigger now or bought smaller and outgrown jeffs fish.most were from his previous supplier while still in new lenox but i got a few little ones to grow out with some local breed fish i got, from his first oak forest shippment his were 2.5" and the local bred were quarters as of now 3-4 months later his 3.5 or so and the quarters are al 4"+.dont know if its his care of the fish or his suppliers but ill take a fish from kenny anyday over jeff for quality.and his small fish are hormoned as in a 2.5" fish showing full adult pattern.but i agree he is a nice guy with anawesome selection on strains but its not the same quality ur gonna get with kennys fish.
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Quote Originally Posted by cjr8420 View Post
    i disagree completly with this statment.ive seen a bunch of his fish mine included.alot dont grow like u think they would.compared to other fish of same size that are all bigger now or bought smaller and outgrown jeffs fish.most were from his previous supplier while still in new lenox but i got a few little ones to grow out with some local breed fish i got, from his first oak forest shippment his were 2.5" and the local bred were quarters as of now 3-4 months later his 3.5 or so and the quarters are al 4"+.dont know if its his care of the fish or his suppliers but ill take a fish from kenny anyday over jeff for quality.and his small fish are hormoned as in a 2.5" fish showing full adult pattern.but i agree he is a nice guy with anawesome selection on strains but its not the same quality ur gonna get with kennys fish.
    I don't have any experience with his Juvie fish as I've only gotten a few adults from him so I could not comment on that. My Avatar is one that I got from him at a great price. Anyway, Growth will depend on the genetic they come from. As far as your statement on Hormone fish that may be true, but that can be said about must Asian imported fish. The color sells to must folks who don't know much about discus. I've compared juvie of the same size and age from local German breed Discus to those Asian Discus bought from Sponsor and Sponsor are always more colorful at the same age and size. The colorful Asian fish color eventually fade and comes back as they got older. Either they were fed color enhance food or was also hormone. Hormone or not don't really matter to me as long as the fish is healthy.

majority of discus growth depends on care while raising.it wasnt just the little juvies.ur tiger turqs should have plenty of growth left let us know if u get it.as for the hormones 2.5" blue scorps bright blue with adult pattern solid with a few spots and yes after a month or so they did revert back to a darker blue SS pattern as scorp juvies should be.doesnt matter to you but it might to someone else.i will probably buy from again i tell myself i wont but then i see some of the strains i like. the ease of being in person seeing all the fish, not just going off some pics and paying shipping sends me back lol.worth a visit if ur local but i still dont believe his fish are the same quality as kennys
    Last edited by cjr8420; 01-12-2013 at 05:06 AM.
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

I purchased some fish from him not long ago, when i got home and got a better look at them and 1/2 of the fish purchased had HITH badly. I suspect poor diet, hopefully no parasites going on but only time will tell. Not to say Jeff wasn't a nice guy, he was very nice and his prices we're good. I should have taken more time to pick better fish, but poor lighting and feeling rushed made this hard to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapenoon View Post
    I purchased some fish from him not long ago, when i got home and got a better look at them and 1/2 of the fish purchased had HITH badly. I suspect poor diet, hopefully no parasites going on but only time will tell. Not to say Jeff wasn't a nice guy, he was very nice and his prices we're good. I should have taken more time to pick better fish, but poor lighting and feeling rushed made this hard to achieve.
    Should never feel like you are rush. Jeff always allow you as much time you need to make your selection. Haven't seen any with hitch at least not the ones I have.

Quote Originally Posted by kalelhawj View Post
    Should never feel like you are rush. Jeff always allow you as much time you need to make your selection. Haven't seen any with hitch at least not the ones I have.
    You were not there and did not know the situation. I was just stating a fact, regaless if you have seen any with hole in the head or not, 3 of the 6 fish i purchased DO in fact have it. I just think people should be aware of my experience due the the outcome, I went there because of the good reviews on this thread. And i can say that i will not be a return customer.

20130119_122933_zps27f81da7.jpg
    This is the worst of the fish, if you expand the photo you can easily see HITH from the top of its forhead all the way down below its mouth.
    Last edited by 0Dgreen; 01-19-2013 at 02:41 PM.

20130119_122933_zps27f81da7.jpg
    This is the worst of the fish, if you expand the photo you can easily see HITH from the top of its forhead all the way down below its mouth.
    Sorry to hear your experience isn't good. If there's issue I hope you have talk to Jeff to sort the issue out. i'm sure he will refund your money if you are not happy with them.
    Last edited by Kal-El; 01-24-2013 at 09:07 PM.

You were not there and did not know the situation. I was just stating a fact, regaless if you have seen any with hole in the head or not, 3 of the 6 fish i purchased DO in fact have it. I just think people should be aware of my experience due the the outcome, I went there because of the good reviews on this thread. And i can say that i will not be a return customer.
    Did you contact Jeff regarding your problem? Jeff is a real honest guy and I'm sure he will make it right somehow. I accidently paid him $10 extra the first time I was there (I was in a hurry because the wife was waiting in the car and it took me over an hour. lol! ) and he called me to let me know. Now, I know $10 is not a lot but it does say something about the person. Anyways, I bought 6 discus from him over the past year and they're all doing great (50% water change daily and 3-4 times feeding per day). I have been to enough swaps to say that I think he has some really nice discus and big selection. That's my personal experiance with exotic.

Registered Member

I have been going to Exotic Discus for a few years now. I have never had a bad experience or any issues with any of the discus I've purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Have any of these fish successfully spawned?
    I have a pair of 6in blue diamonds spawned many time and hatched with frys in my community tank with just regular tap water. I don't have time to breed them so I just leave them in the community tank but none of the babies ever made it because of other fish in there and also I'm sure they got sucked up by the filter as well. I got them from Jeff at Exotic Discus when they're around 3in about a year ago. I do 50% water changes 2x per week and at least 4 feedings per day. All my discus are 6in or more.

Registered Member

Gosh....I think Jeff is one of the nicest people I have ever met! I know he would make it right if you had a problem. Just saying~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast