AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Number of times you guys feed 2.5-3 inch discus?

Default Re: Number of times you guys feed 2.5-3 inch discus?

not an expert and will say i've had my "experiences" but i do 3-6 times a day. my schedule (during the work week) is sporadic. they definitely get pampered on the weekends. mondays and tuesday i go to work and then night classes so i don't get home until 9pm (which i only have fed them before i left for work at 6'ish am in the morning; then hopefully the wife remembers to feed them once before i get home at night), yet even on those night i feed them as soon as i get home and then a small snack before lights out. i also have an automatic feeder but still not covinced it feeds much while at work. then wed & thurs they get most meals between 4:30 & 9:30 pm. i think it'd be best to have them on a standard feeding schedule 7 days of the week but that's never going to happen with me PLUS another factor is that i have them in a community tank so what they miss then there are others in there that specifically "vacuum" it up (God definitely created the corydoras for discus lovers).

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    Its the left over food from feeding that can cause problems..
    Agreed, that's why I always suck out uneaten food. Growth rate for me has been great.

i can tell you.. that the 2.5" Lemon Yellows that Discus John Nicholson got from Beals.. have grown out fantastic!! and only twice day.. wth!!

i don't always listen to John Nicholson.. but when i do.. its cuz of my DOS XX
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

The funny thing is that its fine to feed a dozen times a day, its not a new thing, even I used to feed upwards of a dozen times a day but the end result is the same.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Rick

The number of times you feed a day should be directly tied to the number of water changes you can do a day..........

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    The number of times you feed a day should be directly tied to the number of water changes you can do a day..........
    Truth
    Visit Eddie's Place

I am disabled and home all day almost every day of the month. 2x or even 3x a day water changes are not a problem, however we feed only enough to be consumed in a minute or two.
    Bob Daniel Hopkinsville, KY

IMO/E, what you feed is more important than the frequency of feeds. I use to feed juvies 6-8 meals a day until I started doing more critical reading along with speaking to more experienced keepers. I now only feed home made BH mix 2-3x a day and their growth is the same if not better than my prior rountine.
    Pete
    MAGA

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

See this illistrates the joy of the internet.....At some point someone got on here and acted like an expert. They would post that to get maximum growth you HAD to feed 6X+ times a day. Now I don't care what anyone does with their fish. If you want to feed 100X a day I don't care, but most of the sure enough experts know that you can grow the fish out to their potential with 2-3X feedings a day with proper water conditions. I am just amazed how people with very limited real experience can set the SOP of so many people who are just trying to do what is best for their fish. Beware of the internet expert....they are everywhere.....LOL.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by PAR23 View Post
    IMO/E, what you feed is more important than the frequency of feeds. I use to feed juvies 6-8 meals a day until I started doing more critical reading along with speaking to more experienced keepers. I now only feed home made BH mix 2-3x a day and their growth is the same if not better than my prior rountine.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    See this illistrates the joy of the internet.....At some point someone got on here and acted like an expert. They would post that to get maximum growth you HAD to feed 6X+ times a day. Now I don't care what anyone does with their fish. If you want to feed 100X a day I don't care, but most of the sure enough experts know that you can grow the fish out to their potential with 2-3X feedings a day with proper water conditions. I am just amazed how people with very limited real experience can set the SOP of so many people who are just trying to do what is best for their fish. Beware of the internet expert....they are everywhere.....LOL.

-john
    +1
    Visit Eddie's Place

I don't think there are ANY experts here..

there are people that have Many years of Discus Experience.. BUT alot of them.. don't post much anymore.. its a shame,
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Matt

I feed at least 4 times a day, sometimes up to 6 if I happen to throw some in while I am walking by the tank. 7am, 12noon, 5pm, 10pm. But I also do daily WCs.
    -Matt

How much I feed is directly related to how much I am home (and walk by the tank). Probably 4x's a day during the week, 6x's on weekend days. I do daily 95% water changes. Also I will add that I no longer use a beefheart or seafood mix. Just super beefheart flake and freeze dried black worms. I see no difference in growth rates and I don't hear the wife complain about the mess. that's called a win win.
    Last edited by lipadj46; 09-23-2012 at 08:24 PM.

normally 2x a day weekends could be 4-5x just smaller amounts. been strictly super bh from inland, sera bits, fd blk worms, 1-2x frozen bs. best growth and color I see is with super bh.
    growing out fry I used to do average 3-4x a day
    Jim

Registered Member

Thanks for the input everybody! I really appreciate it! That's why I love this forum. Just ordered some NLS discus pellets today hopefully they will take to it pretty quick!
    Kenneth

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast