ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Number of times you guys feed 2.5-3 inch discus?

Default Re: Number of times you guys feed 2.5-3 inch discus?

interesting subject, and fascinating the diversity of replies

my Discus have grown out from 3.5" to +/- 6", and it's been almost 8 months - I typically feed 4x a day, but if I have a long shift they get less. daily WCs, 50-75% w/bare bottom tank. occasionally I miss a WC, with no feeding on that day. edited to add: my foods include beefheart flakes with pro-growth, ON Prime reef flakes, frozen beefheart (right before a WC), Al's fdbw, and occasionally frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms.
    I'm sure my growth rate is less than others, but my fish seem happy & healthy.
    *caveat* I am NOT an expert! LOL

good luck Kenneth!
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

I'm testing this right now with three fire reds all at 3.5" when I got them a month ago. I put one in a 75gallon with the stock of discus getting feed 4-5x daily. The other two are in a 29gallon with 3 other juvie discus feed 2-3 times. All get 50% daily water change. The reason I did this in the 29gal as I don't have tank space and didn't want to over feed and pollute the tank water by over feeding. So far the ones that get feed 4-5x grew out a lot faster and are much ticker in size right now at 4.5". The ones feed 2-3 times haven't grown much. Probably at 3.75" almost 4". Like the experts are saying there is no rush in growing them or reward and the end result will probably be the same. Personally I prefer quick growth and can afford to do daily WC. The way I look at it why not grow them out as much as you can when they are growing out the best. If I didn't I would resort to 1-2 feeding and do every other day WC. I will see how the end result of my Discus are once they are all fully grown. If they end up being the same size or not much of a difference in size i would feed less, which is less work to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by kalelhawj View Post
    I'm testing this right now with three fire reds all at 3.5" when I got them a month ago. I put one in a 75gallon with the stock of discus getting feed 4-5x daily. The other two are in a 29gallon with 3 other juvie discus feed 2-3 times. All get 50% daily water change. The reason I did this in the 29gal as I don't have tank space and didn't want to over feed and pollute the tank water by over feeding. So far the ones that get feed 4-5x grew out a lot faster and are much ticker in size right now at 4.5". The ones feed 2-3 times haven't grown much. Probably at 3.75" almost 4". Like the experts are saying there is no rush in growing them or reward and the end result will probably be the same. Personally I prefer quick growth and can afford to do daily WC. The way I look at it why not grow them out as much as you can when they are growing out the best. If I didn't I would resort to 1-2 feeding and do every other day WC. I will see how the end result of my Discus are once they are all fully grown. If they end up being the same size or not much of a difference in size i would feed less, which is less work to clean up.
    You are already skewing the numbers. The test isn't controlled. You would need to keep the fish in the same environment, i.e. same size tank, same number/amount of water changes, same foods, just fed less frequently AND fed the same amount.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    You are already skewing the numbers. The test isn't controlled. You would need to keep the fish in the same environment, i.e. same size tank, same number/amount of water changes, same foods, just fed less frequently AND fed the same amount.
    Good point Eddie you are right. My test isn't controlled. A truly good test would have to be what you mention. Maybe this is something I will test when I get pairs and produce some fry from some of the adults I'm growing out.
    Last edited by Kal-El; 09-24-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Good point Eddie you are right. My test isn't controlled. A truly good test would have to be what you mention. Maybe this is something I will test when I get some Juvies from some of the adults I'm growing out.
    If it was a controlled test, it would be pretty interesting to see. Definitely give it a shot in the future. A few other things to keep in mind would be the fish being from the same brood, same filtration and equal stocking load (equal number of fish per tank). Even with the fish being from the same brood, there can be differences in growth rate but I think identifying the best of the batch and separating them early, would make it work.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Thanks Shoveltrash! They usually get 2-4 feedings depending on my work and college classes, but they always get 50-60% water change once everyday. Very interesting kalelhawj!
    Kenneth

Registered Member

I feel like we need to qualify the word "feeding" for this thread. A feeding in my mind, is not flake food, brine shirmp, etc. Those foods are snacks.

To me, a feeding is with a high quality food where I can physically see their stomach has grown in size. In my fish room, a proper feeding is with FDBW's or BH. My fish pound these foods and their stomach has grown after feeding these foods. I can see that all of them are full after feeding these foods. My fish get three feedings like this each day and some "snacks" as well. Flake foods IMO provide the vitiams and the other foods provide the growth.

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    I feel like we need to qualify the word "feeding" for this thread. A feeding in my mind, is not flake food, brine shirmp, etc. Those foods are snacks.

To me, a feeding is with a high quality food where I can physically see their stomach has grown in size. In my fish room, a proper feeding is with FDBW's or BH. My fish pound these foods and their stomach has grown after feeding these foods. I can see that all of them are full after feeding these foods. My fish get three feedings like this each day and some "snacks" as well. Flake foods IMO provide the vitiams and the other foods provide the growth.
    IMO Food is food. I would add that a beefheart mix is a good percentage water so even if their stomachs are full how much is food and how much is water? Like I mentioned before I'm using Bill's Super Beefheart Flake as my main diet and have not seen a difference in growth yet. Just empirical evidence nothing rigorous though.

Registered Member

No you are not. The more the better. I feed 5 times a day. Once at 7am, 11am, 3pm, 6pm, &9pm then 50% WC. On the weekends I feed 6-7 times since I'm home all day to clean after feeding. If you feed a lot you'll need to do daily WC.
    Ditto...
    FFins

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
    IMO Food is food. I would add that a beefheart mix is a good percentage water so even if their stomachs are full how much is food and how much is water? Like I mentioned before I'm using Bill's Super Beefheart Flake as my main diet and have not seen a difference in growth yet. Just empirical evidence nothing rigorous though.
    It's probaby just me, but I like to see a bulge in their stomach to be satisfied with their feeding. No bulge, then it's a snack to me. Flakes don't produce a bulge, but BH and FDBW's (or live) sure do and it takes just a few mins.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
    My BH mix does not have a lot of water. It only has a lot if you buy the commercially produced stuff and once it hits the water the water in it enters your tank so if their stomach is bulging it it all food.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    My BH mix does not have a lot of water. It only has a lot if you buy the commercially produced stuff and once it hits the water the water in it enters your tank so if their stomach is bulging it it all food.

-john
    It has much more water in it than say a dry food (but then it all absorbs water when it hits the water). My guys stomachs bulge whatever they eat, especially the little guys, flakes can make them look like raviolis too. You can argue which is more filling or which food is best but in the end protein is protein and as long as the fish is getting optimum protein they will grow. IMO water quality is just as important. I have blue knights showing growth like I've not seen before on FDBW and super beefheart flake, but I'm sure that is genetics too.

Registered Member

I just prefer to feed them the FDBW once a week, and then as for the other feedings I give them different types of flakes such as spirulina, ultra color enhancing, beef heart. Also pellets as well. Although there isn't a bulge afterwards the food is still consumed and the nutritional benefits are still there. Everyone feeds their discus differently tho.
    Kenneth

i always add a gallon of water to my BH MIX.. so they can say Hydrated..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    a proper feeding is with FDBW's or BH.
    Agree 100%
    Pete
    MAGA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast