AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Number of times you guys feed 2.5-3 inch discus?

Default Re: Number of times you guys feed 2.5-3 inch discus?

Analogy, When you go to the gym you don’t ask the guys with the pigeon chest for workout tips right? Well maybe you do, but anyway talk is cheap!
    Please backup your comments with the fish you've raised, the more the merrier!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Ok heres my take on this I am no expert but this is what works for me. Also its really hard for me to talk about feeding with out talking about water changes they kinda go hand and hand. water it whats going to make your young discus grow like weeds not the food.........Josie

Adults breeding or not get fed 2x a day beef heart mix with a snack midday of a small amount FDBW. WC ones a day between 30% to 60% depending on stock level.
    Juveniles fed 2x day beef heart mix 2x snacks pellets and FDBW late afternoon live brine shrimp soaked w/organic spirulina powder. 150% daily no exceptions.
    Fry after two weeks free swimming Slime coat all day (if still with adults) also six times a day with BBS w/cyclopes ezze or baby fry food (my own mix) 100% daily
    Fry free swimming less than two weeks Slime coat all day and stunted BBS for digestion and an intro to baby fry food (my own mix) Central system which makes it a little different with water changes 60% daily
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Moik.....There are lots of ways that work. My way has worked for me and many others for longer than most of the people here have ever heard of discus. Discus eating a BH mix only food has been done since at least the 70's. The largest fish that I ever raised out and measured was 6 3/8 inches standard length so when you add 1 1/2 to 2 inches of tail he was bigger than most will ever own.

You were the one that was talking in absolutes....You said that fish fed only twice a day were always stunted. So are wild discus always stunted? It is a fairly well accepted fact that wild discus do not eat everyday. There are times they get a lot to eat and times they get very little. Using your logic all wild caught fish would have to be stunted. Also their offspring being fed the 72 times a day that "want to be experts" have convinced newb's that they have to feed should be much larger than their "stunted" parents, but you know what? They are not any bigger on average.

You do it you way and I will do it mine. The only thing that is confusing is when someone speaks in absolutes.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    The only thing that is confusing is when someone speaks in absolutes.

-john
    Amen
    Bill

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Moik.....There are lots of ways that work. My way has worked for me and many others for longer than most of the people here have ever heard of discus. Discus eating a BH mix only food has been done since at least the 70's. The largest fish that I ever raised out and measured was 6 3/8 inches standard length so when you add 1 1/2 to 2 inches of tail he was bigger than most will ever own.

You were the one that was talking in absolutes....You said that fish fed only twice a day were always stunted. So are wild discus always stunted? It is a fairly well accepted fact that wild discus do not eat everyday. There are times they get a lot to eat and times they get very little. Using your logic all wild caught fish would have to be stunted. Also their offspring being fed the 72 times a day that "want to be experts" have convinced newb's that they have to feed should be much larger than their "stunted" parents, but you know what? They are not any bigger on average.

You do it you way and I will do it mine. The only thing that is confusing is when someone speaks in absolutes.

-john
    +1
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member Inland Empire Discus's Avatar

In my opinion temperature plays a part in how often you need to feed as the temp. affects the the fish metabolism. For instance if you keep your tanks between 80-82 degrees then 2 feedings a day will work, but if you keep your tanks at say 86-88 degrees then you will need to feed more to keep up with their metabolism. This will then also determine how many water changes and percent of water changes are necessary per day to keep the water clean so they can grow.
    I have personally have fish that were kept in cooler water and were only fed twice a day that are now over 7 inches total length and are far from stunted. There are 101 ways to raise a discus and people need to take all info into consideration and do what works best for them.
    Again this is just my opinion.
    Bill

Good point on temps. Personally I think that 82 is perfect for discus of all ages.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

John you are correct that it is silly to deal in absolutes base on anecdotal evidence. Clearly this is as much (or more) an art than a science. With all the experienced breeders posting It would be great to see a controlled study. But even if there was strong statistical evidence for one method I suspect few successful breeders would change. It might help somebody starting out though.

Quote Originally Posted by MGKelly View Post
    Analogy, When you go to the gym you don’t ask the guys with the pigeon chest for workout tips right? Well maybe you do, but anyway talk is cheap!
    Please backup your comments with the fish you've raised, the more the merrier!
    Thats easy...

-john
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Inland Empire Discus View Post
    In my opinion temperature plays a part in how often you need to feed as the temp. affects the the fish metabolism. For instance if you keep your tanks between 80-82 degrees then 2 feedings a day will work, but if you keep your tanks at say 86-88 degrees then you will need to feed more to keep up with their metabolism. This will then also determine how many water changes and percent of water changes are necessary per day to keep the water clean so they can grow.
    I have personally have fish that were kept in cooler water and were only fed twice a day that are now over 7 inches total length and are far from stunted. There are 101 ways to raise a discus and people need to take all info into consideration and do what works best for them.
    Again this is just my opinion.
    +1
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Rick

Good point on temps. Personally I think that 82 is perfect for discus of all ages.

-john
    82 degress F is good......... 28.2 C is perfect
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LOL.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Number of times you guys feed 2.5-3 inch discus?

I'm a little late to this party but ill chime in anyway. I agree with Josie that it is hard to talk about feeding with out talking about WCs. Free swimmers get bbs 3x daily or 5x daily on my days off. When seperate from parents temp goes from 84 to 87 degrees they are fed ground FDBW and omega one prime reef flakes 3x daily and bbs1x before nightly WCs. Water is changes 80% 2x daily. When they reach 2in in size they are fed FDBW 3x daily with 1 90% waterchange, this continues until they reach 4in then they get 1 90% water change every other day and temp goes back down to 84 degrees. Though I only feed three times a day I do feed heavy with a high protein food. I think the key is giving them plenty of clean water. Poor water quality = poor discus.
    As you can see everyone has their own technique. Find what fits your schedule and works for you.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Real Name
    Carmelita

I feed my small discus 2.5 ,3 inch black worms ,flakes and pellets I ordered some discus hans food .they are not fussy about the pellets so I try to feed when they are hunger in mornings but they are always hungry it seems .
    They seem to be growing fine .
    I change the water two or three times week .
    I had my water tested because I could not get the gh it was 5 so pretty low .Not lot minerals small amount iron .kh is6.5?
    I have a number pieces of coral in my tank should I run crushed coral in my filter .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345