ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Can/will discus eat backswimmers?

Registered Member

Default Can/will discus eat backswimmers?

As my topic says, can/will they? There were a bunch of backswimmers in my pool, I scooped most of them up and added them to a 10 gallon I keep outside with leftover plants and driftwood I didn't use in my display tank. The plants are doing great and there's a fair amount of mosquito larvae and water fleas in it since the tank is exposed to natural light and has a good amount of free floating algae growing in it. It's become my outdoor tank with my little ecosystem in it lol. So there's about 60 of the buggers in there, probably more. I know bugs are a part of wild discus, and I saw on the NADA website some people even feed mealworms so, I figured why not these guys? .
    I appreciate any feedback.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Can/will discus eat backswimmers?

If I remember correctly backswimmers have a hard external shell like a beetle. If so seems like it would be hard to eat.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Aw boo. Oh we'll, I guess they'll just be a part of the outside tank then. I figured it'd be fun to watch the discus chase and eat them.

Registered Member

Maybe also too big - Discus have small mouths.

Registered Member

Ok so, all those backswimmers are still in that tank and I just had to experiment. I put one in the discus tank and my 5.5" Eruption Leopard was the first one to suck it up and crunch it up. Seemed to have no trouble eating, I think he actually enjoyed it because now everyone else is looking around to see where he got the food! So I think I may have found a new live food they like!
    Pat mentioned the shell may be too hard but then I was thinkin about brine shrimp and mysis shrimp all have crunchy shells too...sort of. Can discus catch anything from bugs, Or only other fish?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusPunk View Post
    Ok so, all those backswimmers are still in that tank and I just had to experiment. I put one in the discus tank and my 5.5" Eruption Leopard was the first one to suck it up and crunch it up. Seemed to have no trouble eating, I think he actually enjoyed it because now everyone else is looking around to see where he got the food! So I think I may have found a new live food they like!
    Pat mentioned the shell may be too hard but then I was thinkin about brine shrimp and mysis shrimp all have crunchy shells too...sort of. Can discus catch anything from bugs, Or only other fish?
    Yes, they can definitely catch things from live foods.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."