ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 55 to a 75gl

Default 55 to a 75gl

Hi All, I have had several of you tell me that a 55gl is a minimum but a 75 gl is much better for the Discus. well, i finally found a 75 gl so i took your advice.
    will be shifting the 2 Sponge filters to the 75, they are the large ones, will this still be enough filtration or dhould i add a HOB. would like to keep as simple as possible as the changes I have made
    for my Discus seem to be working better. Will continue to do Daily WC's, on the 55 I am doing 60-70% Daily. should I continue that, or can I go to 50% with the 75gl. actually the Tank measurements have me more at 78gl.
    last question for now, i now i need to do a good hot water cleaning of the new tank(used) will that be enough or would you recommend a bleach bath. if so, just a hot water rinse real well after?? any suggestions on this part would be appreciated.
    thanks

Default Re: 55 to a 75gl

So the new tank is used? Also, depending on the size of the sponges, they should be fine in the 75. Your water change amount/frequency will be dependent your stocking load and your feeding schedule (amount/frequency).
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Yep,rinse and air dry,and I like to double up on the de-chlor on the first fill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Yes, Used. Fish are all around 5 inches and right now 4 of them, am looking at adding 3 more but probably not for about 2 months as they should arrive in the next couple weeks then a 6-8 week QT period , feeding 3 times a day, Flakes, FDBW's or flakes and then frozen blackworms in the evening right before the water change.
    Last edited by dghby; 09-24-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Used tanks get a good scrubbing and I use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, spraying generously in all the corners and seams. I let it dry and re-spray the whole tank multiple times and then rinse and air dry.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Used tanks get a good scrubbing and I use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, spraying generously in all the corners and seams. I let it dry and re-spray the whole tank multiple times and then rinse and air dry.
    yep
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

OK, sounds like a plan.

Another way would be to fill with water and add Potasium Permaganate until the water was a bright purple. Get it good and clean under the rim. After 4 or 5 hours, put a capful of Hydrogen Peroxide in there and then drain the tank shortly afterward. Any bacteria, parasite eggs, etc. should now be eliminated.

Or you could add a cup of bleach in a water filled aquarium....and let air dry a day after draining.

Go with whatever stuff you got! You have options!
    Bob Daniel Hopkinsville, KY

Registered Member

If you dont want to use bleach use vinegar

or you could use vineger to neutralize the bleach as you would in the brine shrimp decapsulation process...
    Bob Daniel Hopkinsville, KY

can i assume correctly if i were going from a salt tank to discus i would have to do the same cleaning process? This tank has been sitting empty for at least 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvet06 View Post
    can i assume correctly if i were going from a salt tank to discus i would have to do the same cleaning process? This tank has been sitting empty for at least 6 months
    I don't think so but I'd always do a good cleaning of a tank while its broken down and empty.
    Visit Eddie's Place