ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: A Little Experiment...

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default A Little Experiment...

Welp, I've had my favorite breeding pair in their new breeding tank for 3 weeks now. It took them 2 weeks to end their hunger strike and start eating again, and even now they are being VERY snooty about what they will and will not eat...brats! LOL

Even though they spend nearly the entire day staring at the breeding cone, they've refused to use it, won't even shimmy at each other. I figure this is a breeding strike, same as the hunger strike.

In my community tank though, I have my carnation pigeon pairing up with any and every male she can get to come on over to her side of the tank. So far she's laid eggs on my mag float with both my brilliant turq and my flachenSS.

Last night she got it on with the flachenSS yet again and produced a large batch of eggs on the float. And this morning I had a light bulb moment!

I grabbed the float out of the tank and placed it in the breeder, in a corner near the breeding cone. I figured that they'd most likely eat the eggs, but hoped that it might motivate them a bit to produce some of their own.... sort of a reminder that if THEY weren't going to lay eggs, someone else would. LOL

Much to my surprise, the female cautiously inspected the float, ate a couple of eggs, and then start fanning the rest of them. The male ignored all of this for about 10 minutes and continued to stare at the breeding cone, then gave up and came over to have a look. The pair is now happily fanning the eggs on the float and I'm overjoyed. I don't expect the eggs to make it, and actually pray that they don't, but this just might get my pair back in the mood to make babies....woot!
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: A Little Experiment...

Or you could end up with a dynamic pair of foster parents. Either way I hope this works out however you want it to Toni.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

wow, that's nice............ keep us posted Toni
    -Ismael

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

That is a cool thing Toni! Let us know how it goes with them. I wish I had a pair so I could experience some of these neat things you all are getting to see with yours. I have 15 full grown discus in a 125, very well cared for, and only one possible pair who shake and stare at a cone for weeks now.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

No reward without risk! I have a feeling this will work out well all around!
    Bob Daniel Hopkinsville, KY

Quote Originally Posted by BobDaniel View Post
    I have a feeling this will work out well all around!
    +1

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Cool! Good luck!
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker