ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: October - Got any good autumn recipes to share?

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default October - Got any good autumn recipes to share?

Hi all,

A BIG thank to DiscusPaul for noticing that I had forgotten to post this thread!

Somewhere in all the recent threads that I posted, I actually thought I'd posted this one. Yep, I need a vacation. LOL

I'm right in the middle of making Thai Chicken Wings so I can't post my latest recipes, but feel free to post yours and I'll catch up with y'all tomorrow.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Re: October - Got any good autumn recipes to share?

ALRIGHTY!!!!......... Sometimes I forget about recipes that are my absolute favorites untill I make them at work. Olive tapanade is one of those things that I love and this recipe is very addicting.
    Olive Tapanade on crostini with a lemon goat cheese spread
    Brandon's Tapanade:
    1/4# Black Olives
    1/4# Queen stuffed olives(green)
    1/4# Kalamatas
    1/4 Pepperoncini's(seeds in)
    Garlic 1/8 tsp or to taste
    1-pinch of red pepper flakes
    don't add any salt but some pepper is fine
    2-3 anchovies(optional)
    pulse in food processor until finely chopped and toss with enough olive oil(extra virgin) to coat well but not to have any left over.

Crostinis:
    Go to store and buy and nice baugette(no need pulling you hair out making one).
    Cut on a bias(diagonally) for as many pieces as you want or need
    Lay on sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil(extra virgin) and season with salt and pepper
    bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for approx 10 min. take out and let cool down

Goat cheese spread: (this will probably make more than you will need...probably double batch)
    1- log of goat cheese (7oz)
    2-lemons juiced
    heavy cream

Put goat cheese into mixer with paddle attachment. Whip for 1 minute gradually turning up the speed. After one minute turn down to low and add lemon juice. whip for 1 minute gradually turning up the speed. turn down to medium high and SLOWLY add cream untill you get your desired consistancy( i like mine to feel like nice light cream cheese)

Assembly:
    Spread crostini with spread, put tapanade ontop. Put in mouth. Chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew,chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew,chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew,chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew. Swallow. Repeat.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Here's a yummy fall day recipe that is fast, simple, easy, inexpensive - but scrumptious.
    Several of my friends have tried it & added it to their regular week-day dinner recipe - and their kids love it !

SPANISH PORK CUTLETS:

Use thin fast-fry boneless pork chops, available at very low prices at any supermarket, or cut thin slices from a small pork loin roast, or a pork tenderloin.
    Trim well of any fat, and flatten them out further, on a meat board/block with a mallet until they're very thin (1/8", to no more than-1/4"), using saran wrap to cover them so the mallet doesn't stick to the meat & mess it up. (But they don't need to be paper thin.)

Season with salt & pepper and flour them.
    Run them through an egg wash - whisked egg with a little cream.
    Then coat them well with PANKO bread crumbs.
    Fry them in a well heated (med./high heat) non-stick fry pan in just a layer of vegetable oil spread across the pan bottom.

Spanish sauce with which to coat them once they're fried to a golden brown:

Here's the easy, simple part:
    Heat up a sufficient amount of your favorite salsa sauce, thinned out with some water, so that it's not too thick - make it somewhat runny. Depending on your family's tastes, use either mild, medium or hot salsa.

I usually dress my sauce up some more, by adding some extra (lightly sauteed ahead) diced onion, diced bell pepper (of your choice of color), finely diced garlic, diced celery, diced capers, & some diced Jalapeno pepper, for those who really like some extra bite.
    I'm sure this kind of meal is old hat to some of you folks - but if you haven't tried it, do so. I think you'll love it.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 10-04-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Sounds good Paul! I'm a porkaholic ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349551928.489117.jpg
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

When I used to hunt deer, this was my plan for the tenderloin: Soak it for two or three days in a Terriyaki, Sherry, and Brown Sugar marinade. Even a little orange juice will add to the flavor. Keep this in the refrigerator and keep it cold. Turn the meat a few times.

Set a fire in the grill using some white oak. When it burns to coals, put the tenderloins on the fire.

Servre with wild rice and a baked acorn squash topped with a little cinnamon, honey and butter. If you want a great roll with your meal, get some Sister Shewberts....

If you don't have venison tenderloin, then use pork. Eat well!
    Bob Daniel Hopkinsville, KY

Hey Toni,
    I'm adding another good cold weather dish to the October recipes so that your super thread doesn't just die on the vine - heaven forbid - LOL

This was a peasant dish in Italy for probably hundreds of years, but today it's usually prominent on the menu at the best fine dining Italian restaurants, and commands a hefty price to go along with it. It's decidedly not mediocre, but fabulous - requires a little extra work & prep, but well worth the effort.

OSSO BUCO -

This dish can be served with your favorite pasta, whether that be penne, fettuccini, specialty noodles, or just mashed potatoes, or risotto, along with your favorite veggies, and french bread for dipping in the sauce.

You'll need one large veal shank about 5" or 6" wide ( best @ a thickness of 1.5" or so), or 2 small ones of around 3", for each person.
    This recipe will serve 4 persons.

Ingredients you will need besides the veal shanks:

- 1 & 1/2 cups of either veal, beef, or chicken stock (best with veal stock)
    - 1/3 cup Marsala wine or dry sherry
    - 1/3 cup brandy (white wine may be substituted)
    - 1 tbspn of balsamic vinegar
    - 2 tbspns of tomato paste
    - 1 tsp of rosemary
    - 1 tsp of thyme
    - 1 bay leaf
    - 3 carrots, peeled & coarsely chopped
    - 1 large celery stalk, coarsely chpped
    - 4-5 garlic cloves, thinly minced
    - 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (or, if you want to get fancy, about 2 dozen skinned pearl onions - a little extra work, but jazzes up the presentation)
    - 1/2 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (optional)
    - Salt & Pepper to taste
    - Some EV Olive Oil (In which to brown the veal shanks before slow cooking the Osso Buco)
    - 2 tspns. corn starch mixed in a litlle cold water, to thicken up your sauce after the slow cooking and just before serving.

Season the veal shanks with S. & P., dust them with some flour (you may omit the flouring if you wish), and brown them in olive oil on stove top in a non-stick pan @ med./high heat for 3-5 minutes each side, and remove to a platter to rest.
    Lower the heat and add all the veggies ( the onions, carrots, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and bay leaf) to the pan with a little more olive oil and some butter. Simmer these for a few minutes and sprinkle them with the rosemary and thyme, & toss for a bit.
    Add the Marsala wine, the brandy, the veal stock (or beef or chicken - whatever you're using), the balsamic vinegar and tomato paste, bring to a boil, and then simmer on low for 6 to 8 minutes.

Transfer the veal shanks to a largish oven-proof 3" or 4" deep, covered, corning ware or equivalent- type dish, then pour all of your cooked liquid & veggies over top, and place in a 300 - 325 degree pre-heated oven oven, and allow to braise for 2 & 1/2 to 3 hours or so, until the meat is fork tender & has begun to fall away from the bone.

Remove from oven, thicken your sauce with the cornstarch, and serve, along with the pasta, or mashed potatoes, and your other favorite accompaniments. A baguette of french bread goes along well with this dish.

Serve with a good hearty red wine of your choice (a Chianti is nice), along with Gremolata (per below) for sprinkling on top of the meat & sauce.

Gremolata:
    - 2 tbspns parsley-
    - 1 clove minced garlic
    - 1/2 tspn grated lemon peel,
    - 1 tspn lemon juice

Enjoy !

Okay, one more classic gourmet fall/winter entree:

BBQ'D RACK of LAMB (for 2 persons)

One whole rack of lamb - may be bbq'd & served whole (sliced at the table afterwards), or precut & bbq'd as individual even-sized lamb ribs, called 'popsickles'.

Whichever way you decide to do the lamb, here's the marinade in which it should marinate for several hours, preferably overnite for best flavor, in a ziploc bag, turning every few hours if marinating overnite:

Marinade - mix these ingredients well together:

3 - T of ev olive oil
    3 - T of soy sauce
    2 - T of dijon mustard (I prefer Keen's hot mustard for that extra zip)
    1 - small minced shallot
    2 or 3 minced garlic cloves
    1 - heaping tspn each of rosemary, thyme, and summer savory
    Sea or Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper - about 1 tspn of each

When ready to bbq, remove the lamb from the ziploc, and scrape off the residual marinade with shallots.

BBQ over med/high heat, searing for approx. 7 to 10 minutes each side, just until internal meat temp reaches approx. 135F
    for medium-rare.
    Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes, and serve with your favorite veggies, potatoes, or pasta, and a robust red wine.

As good as you can get at any fine dining restaurant, @ 1/3 of the cost !
    Last edited by discuspaul; 10-24-2012 at 02:54 PM.