ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alanquer grow-out log

Default Alanquer grow-out log

Hello everybody my name is matt and i recently obtained my first discus, 9 3" stendker alanquer from rich @ richiesfishroom. I decided to do a grow-out log to hopefully help newcomers (just like me) to keeping discus by learning from the mistakes im sure to make on here.Also it lets me look back at the growth of my new babies. I just acclimated them last night by dripping because there was just such a big difference in my ph (8.3 after aging) and rich's (6.8) and the fish were only in the bags for about 1 hour 40min. (thank god we dodged the rush hour traffic by going later). I think i lost several years off my life because the biggest one which is around 3.7 inches was constantly on its side during acclimation but as soon as he was in the tank he was fine as could be. Today i turned their lights on for the first time and have tried feeding them 3 times now with pellets and flakes. They took both but not all them went for it only about 4-5 grazed a little on them after hitting the bottom. Im sure in a few days though they will eat regularly. I still have to give them their feeding of frozen bloodworms and beefheart so we will see how they react to that and will post pictures. (i took pictures of acclimating them but my camera decided not to tell me i didnt have any memory card in it LOL). At the moment they are just chilling in 1 corner but they all move around from one side to the middle to the other every now and again. For the first week i will update this every evening but after that ill probably do it once a week.

pics

My crown jewel so far

Their bars are much less noticeable today yesterday they were pitch black. More pics to come tonight!

Default Re: Alanquer grow-out log

A nice group. You will see that Stendker Discus will grow fast and large. Good luck growing them out.

I look forward to reading your journal. They are beautiful!
    Sincerely,
    Sharon

Thank you both i hope to transfer them to my 125 by the end of December but that's still a while off.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Thank you both i hope to transfer them to my 125 by the end of December but that's still a while off.

matt
    5" by December is reachable if WC daily and feed with quality food. By then they can go into your 125 at that size.

Yeah im gonna be doing a daily 40% with a 10-15% after every feeding. I know it sounds like alot but it only takes me like 5min to do it every feeding and 10min for the big one so really not alot of work.

Cool, all the best with them!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thanks eddie!

They killed the beef heart mix! gave em 2 servings they finished off the first one in under a minute.

You shoulda seen me leap with joy after seeing them actually eat haha.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Matt, nice looking group of youngsters. Also really nice when they eat from the start.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks pat! Yeah i was afraid i was gonna have one of those situations where they wouldn't eat anything for a week or more. Don't think i could have handled it ha-ha.

Matt

Great looking Alanquers. I lost one last winter, due to a heater staying on. I miss it. Looking forward to seeing these guys grow.

Thanks daffy. Im sorry for your loss it would kill me to have one of these die because of that. Thats why im considering getting some better heaters these are ones i just had kicking around.

Well ive decided im going to leave the tank lights off for the first week. As soon as i turn them on they just hang around the bottom in a corner but when i turn them off they start swimming up and down all over the tank and actually ate the pellets. (after i walked away of course). Hopefully i can get my led system built soon so i can dim the lights very low and slowly increase the intensity over a few weeks to get them used to it. More pics tonight.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast