AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My discus arrived! But concerned.

Default Re: My discus arrived! But concerned.

For simplicity and low nitrates many discus tank sumps only have a filter sock and then a chamber of air driven moving bed filter with kaldnes k1 media with poret foam dividers.

Real Name
    Tony

can it be from your soil bleaching ? how long have you set this tank up and what is your soil?
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MKD View Post
    can it be from your soil bleaching ? how long have you set this tank up and what is your soil?
    What he said! =)

I had high (20ppm) nitrates in my planted tank for 4 months...drove me nuts. And then I switched from Eco-Complete type soil to pool filter sand and bingo, nitrates dropped just like that. I use all low light plants and they didn't mind the switch to sand one bit, so I could have saved myself a lot of aggravation if I'd just used sand right from the start, huh? LOL
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Tank is a month old. I have safe t sorb. 400lbs in it.
    When it was cycling i didnt see any nitrate in beginning. After end of fishless cycle nitrate shot up to 80ppm.

Registered Member

Are there any other fish in the tank besides your discus? I am curious about your bio load. My planted tank depends on a balance of fish and plants. Depending on the params, I add or remove plants (rather than fish) according to whether or not there are too many or not enough nutrients in the tank. With a higher nitrates, I would hazard a guess as there are either not enough plants or too many fish, but only if everything else is correct. In a heavily planted tank, it is easy to put too many fish in, as there wouldn't be a way to place enough plants to carry the load.

Just a thought from one who has always had planted tanks, but relatively new to discus.

Quote Originally Posted by MKD View Post
    i wouldn't put them in 20ppm nitrate. do you put fertz in planted tank? why it's too high?
    Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    David every time you hydro vac or disturb the bottom nitrates will rise, lights off and don't bother them, give them a few days
    my tank has gravel, would the nitrates rise if I vacuum the bottom when I do water change?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12