ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How To Ship Discus

Registered Member

Default Re:How To Ship Discus

Very Informative Mike, Good Job! Nice Fish!!!

Chuck

I just wanted to say thank you all for looking at the thread in 2 weeks i will be send a shipment to jim beaver and we will bolth show you how ship discus and how to recieve them.

thanks again

Michael Heppner

I have received two boxes from Mike. I think Airborne was a little rough with the second one, as the bags had leaked pretty bad. However, the liner bag that Mike uses caught all the water and kept the fish alive until I could get the package. Unfortunately I was at work when the box got delivered, and I couldn't put them in the tank right away, so I had to go to the LFS nearby and rebag the fish.

If it weren't for the big liner bag, I may have lost a couple of the fish. However, they were just fine when they finally made it home -- up and eating the next morning. The fish Mike shipped me were 4.5 - 5" and none of them had fin damage or ammonia burns. They looked really good right out of the bag, other than minimal stress.

I will agree with Jeff though, the way fish are shipped can make or break the entire mail-order experience. I've had fish (mostly angels) shipped to me that were poorly packaged and they were either severely stressed or dead. I got a box in the middle of January with no heat packs and no cushioning, just two bags full of fish rolling around inside of a styrofoam box. It took several days to bring the fish back around.

Thanks for the pictures, Mike. This is helpful for first-time shippers.

Ryan

PS - On an unrelated note, I filed a complaint last week with Airborne because for the third time this year I've had a driver being rough with my fish. This last incident, he walked in the door with the box and it clearly said, "Live Tropical Fish" on the side of it. He dropped the box purposely onto the floor instead of sitting it down. I said, "You do realize there are live fish in there, right?" and he said, "So?" and proceeded to use his foot to kick/shove the box over to my desk, then complained about how heavy they were. I understand that the fish should be packed well enough to handle this kind of treatment, but does he still have to be a jerk about it? Airborne gets a big from me.

Geeez Ryan...yah think that employee will get the employee of the year award?
    were you bigger than him? wheres that bat you tote around? wouldve been the best time to use it. take that you swine!! see how you like be bashed around. lol.

well i will rough him up for ya whats his name i dont think he would mess with me im 6' 7"

im sure i can take care of airborn they have done me well.

i did have that 4 day delivery though :

Michael Heppner

I've had mixed experineces with airborne. I have had them lose packages and not deliver on time , but the hold up when you track is usually somewhere at an airport terminal between the shipper and me.

If the package gets to the wallinford CT terminal on time..it gets to me immediately. I had an order of Heckels coming in from Paul (Paulio on this board). Fedex gave him the runaround so he shipped airborne. I was worried stiff because of my past experiences with airborn. I called airborne and requested they hold it for pickup at wallingford. Surprised the heck out of me when a guy called to say they would like to put it on the truck as the first delivery of the day. Turns out the guy running the shipping department there is fish person too! Recognized the need to get me the package fast. ,,I had it in 30 mins. By the way... they are some really nice looking heckels TOO!!!

now for my fedex story... I have shipped and received lots of fish by fedex and never had a problem...but had a case when I bought some glass hoods from Drsfosters and wanted them fast. It was only $10 more for fedex next day so I bought them. well, fedex missed the delivery.. guess it was held up in an airport. No biggy.. I figured they would deliver first thing next day or I could pick it up. Nope... It made it to the terminal SATam ... a terminal that has saturady pick up. I thought I was good to go, the terminal is 15 mins from my house. NOPE! The package Iwas told was in the trailer still, and the trailer was locked until monday when it could be unloaded! I am embarrassed by the verbal lashing I gave them, but can you imagine what might have happened if it had been fish. I might have a shipping story like Mikes..only maybe with some rotting fish for rose food.

-al

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345