AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pool sand or bare for 11 new discus

Default Re: Pool sand or bare for 11 new discus

Personal preference Pat. I know some people who use straight 100% tap water can have a TDS all over from 40 to over 1000. I think as long as you are consistant its ok. I keep my TDS ay 180 for juvies and adults and 70/80 for breeding pairs.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

AH HA !!! ok putting together all the knowledge i recieved here, my own research and finally the last piece - a very good plumber just spent two hours here with me drawing out and designing a system, for dirt cheap really, to do what i really NEED.

I finally figured out WHY some people use RO and some people say dont do it. it seemed really quite confusing ! it now all makes sense, i knew some things the plumber knew some things, some things i learned from here and others i heard from the water test etc.

The Ro unit we know makes distilled or dead water, some say that your body literally has to take away Ca and Mg from itself to process it, which is why its then harmful to youngsters growing or elderly etc UNLESS you remineralize it. HOWEVER most universities and studies (see link below) are saying thats not true but im just going to focus on the fact that fish do need a source to grow, of minerals that is,

the recommended way of doing that is raw water added back in to the amount that brings it up to the conductivity for the fish. i do not know how truly effective Discus trace etc is but if we can TAKE mineral supplements then surely so can fish? but i was told the supplement does not stop that stripping process in young fish, or thats what i now put together with the plumbers help.

Does the RO take out the iron or high mineral content? well it will be shot in a very very short time if it does, and yes the DI unit is designed to do that part of it but thats last so its ruining the rest of the unit meanwhile.

so we need minerals in fact nothing in my water will hurt anyone hurrah ! so i CAN use straight tap yes but the iron build up ruins my pumps and hard calcium deposits on the tank, overlaid with brownish iron make people look at my tanks and say ewww hehe

also , in well water which wasnt tested, can be cysts, bacteria and organic compounds which are going to cause some level of sickness in unboiled water consumption. or could. that could also cause issues for the fish or my pets.

So the plumber said that chlorine oxidizes iron out which i have read before , and then you need to remove the iron precipitate and chlorine. REMOVED totally before drinking or using for pets, but using it will shock bacteria and other nasties and also oxidize iron to a precipitate. which is then filtered out by a string filter a very good one im going to get will still not cost much at all, you can buy cheaper versions in home depot but you want a clear one so you know when to clean. the CL we decided to use will still be in it so we then run it through what 100fuegos (thank you) suggested a really really good carbon filter or GAC , the plumber knew a lot about which forms of carbon are the highest grade and he is getting a unit for still only a couple hundred bucks which will take out the chlorine, i will still prime for fish and we will repeatedly test the water levels and i will have a cl tester to make sure in the beginning there are no swings, etc we set it up right and all is well !

TA DA !! i have a plan and all this for under $1000 with installation, my well water is pretty severe and I do not HAVE to do it but for the dogs and to drink it and to stop it from breaking all my pumps which happens to cost a lot over time.....i am going to do it.

He said i could still put it through the RO after that and remineralize from raw water, i dont need to at that point but i could, because all of this is on a shut off system i can turn on and off as i please, i am in control of what water i want where. For wilds i might take that extra step, but i will measure my resulting EC/TDS and test gh and kh as normal and see where my pH is at too then at that point and go from there.

links telling me about iron and manganese safety and content in my water etc
    http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/ext...qwm/he394.html

and links about the RO
    http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-tr...ut-rodi-water/
    Last edited by musicmarn1; 09-17-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: article links

http://www.snyderhealth.com/water_io...sis_water.html

and the other side of the argument, never before have i had SO much trouble researching the hard science behind something so important as water !! i just must have not got to it yet but there are lots of people here who use RO (not sure how many without remineralizing we need a study ! ) or drink it themselves. so really all we focus on is remineralizing for growth of young fish right?

regardless the waste water is off-putting to me ecologically even though my well water is *free*. but i understand people using it i bought one because i was reading so many who use it for discus and i was sure i was not giving them the best conditions in this hard *** water that really is beyond what most people have in their taps, its not the norm by any means. however i can only learn by DOING so forgive me please for trying to learn and not seeing what to you seems so obvious if you have already formed a hard opinion on the subject. im going to see how my fish respond to filtered water since i have had them 7 months now (the first batch second batch only a month or so)
    Last edited by musicmarn1; 09-17-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Using RO or RO mix to grow out discus is actually backwards, IMO. I say that because the harder water actually helps with fin and bone development, and overall growth, in young fish. Raise out a group in very soft water or RO water and you'll see what I mean. It's fine if you're trying to condition pairs or keep wilds, but it's really unnecessary as long as your parameters are within reason (not something crazy like African cichlid conditions) and you keep the parameters consistent. Discus appreciate consistency.

I have recently started filtering my tap through a sediment filter and a carbon block to try and remove any kind of organic compounds that I can't test for but that seem to drive my fish insane. It's not the minerals and trace elements I'm really concerned with. Your fish need those for proper growth and development, hence people reconstituting RO water. But, there's something that makes my city water go yellow/brown and whatever it is, it drives my discus nuts. They dart and dash and rub against everything after a water change. After I hooked up my sediment/carbon filter, I filled two buckets side-by-side -- one with regular tap and one with filtered tap. Just the differences in color and clarity were alarming. That, to me, is the bigger reason to use some kind of filtration.

As to your initial question, I'd keep them in a bare bottom tank for now. If you have a deep sand bed and you don't turn it over frequently and keep it really clean, it will turn into a nitrate trap and you'll be working against it with every water change to try and keep your nitrates in check. It's why I keep such a thin layer in all my cichlid tanks now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Using RO or RO mix to grow out discus is actually backwards, IMO.
    yep.. Keep It Simple...
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Ryan,

How this of a layer of sand do you keep? How do you turn it over and how often?

Thanks,
    Joe

joe.. keep it less than 1/2" and you are good
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

That's what I ended up doing, I have smaller discus in bare bottom and the sand is easy to clean when it's that thin in he bigger tank. I won't hesitate to pull it out if I get issues, but I think I can do it !

Default Pool sand or bare for 11 new discus

Sands ok as long as you keep it really thin. This is a tank for my juvies. Very thin layer of sand.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Personal preference Pat. I know some people who use straight 100% tap water can have a TDS all over from 40 to over 1000. I think as long as you are consistant its ok. I keep my TDS ay 180 for juvies and adults and 70/80 for breeding pairs.
    ^^^^ Thats what i do but Many just use aged tap. Depends on your water quality.

Real Name
    Sheila

I find sand harder to clean. You vacuum up too much sand in removing the debris from the bottom of the tank. Coarse gravel works better for me.

Real Name
    Mike

Gravel is worse because it becomes a crap and muck collector no matter how much you vacuum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12