ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: does it hurt if a few of my discus only eat blood worm?

Registered Member

Default does it hurt if a few of my discus only eat blood worm?

Although I feed them with difference thing but most of them refer to have frozen blood worm. One of them eat only the food. My question to you is does it hurt if the fish only eat blood worm? A few of my old discus got sick after I feed them with black worm for a few months

Registered Member

Default Re:does it hurt if a few of my discus only eat blood worm?

funny you should ask
    got a shipment of tony peng's discus on june 23 and received a call from him that day. he said he only feeds bloodworms to his discus as beefheart clouds up the water. you can see his fish at the sunrise tropical website and judge for yourself the results of just feeding bloodworms to discus

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I would suggest you add a good quality flake like Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 or Tetra Bits to the diet.

Many discus sellers import discus, hold them for a short time and then resell them. Over the long term a varied diet is best.

I don't know where you are from, but california black worms are better than bloodworms in my estimation . . . and that of my discus too.

i have the same problem with some of my discus. some will eat everything and anything i put in there and some will only eat black worms and frozen blood worms. i still continue to feed them all a varied diet. if they chose not to eat certain things than there's nothing you can do. the fussy ones will still occasionally nibble on the things they don't like. i think over time they get used to certain foods and are willing to try new things.

cheers
    matt

Registered Member

thank you guy, yours information is very helpful.

...a diet of worms exclusively is a big "no-no". It can constipate, or bind, your fish. You always need to offer a flake food to help them pass the worms. Sorry, but Tetra is not a high quality flake food. In fact, it is on the low end of the spectrum...

Registered Member

Sketchy

what if my fish only eat black or blood worm?

...I would suggest continuing to offer them flakes and a variety of foods. As other posters stated, Discus will pick at foods and sample. I have one Royal Blue who prefers brine shrimp over anything. It took a long time to get her eating flake, and finally, worms too. She still prefers the brine and mysis, but will eat a little of the foods the rest of my fish eat. Sometimes it just takes some time and patience to get them eating well. Even if this fish doesn't eat much of the other foods, she is getting something other than the brine and that is better for her.

Registered Member

sketchy
    what about using frozen brine shrimp as a laxitive along with the bloodworms?

Registered Member

When you guys say "flakes" , is there a special type or do you just feed them the type that you feed to Guppies etc?

Ta.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Ocean Nutrition Formula One (ONF1) is my favorite flake