ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Lighting Recommend for Bare Bottom Tank

Registered Member

Default Lighting Recommend for Bare Bottom Tank

Setting up a 125 gallon, bare bottom tank and would love to have some recommendations on what people use.

I usually go with T5HO (planted tanks) but I don't think that'll make sense if I'm going bare bottom. Brands, wattage, types of lighting and links would be highly appreciated! (pictures of your current setups too )

Default Re: Lighting Recommend for Bare Bottom Tank

Hello,

You can still use your T5 light fixture. I use Colormax bulbs to highlight more of the colors in my fish. If you read some of the bulb descriptions you can find ones that work for what you are trying to achieve. Also the newer LED light fixtures are nice as well. Some are mixed with blues and whites which are nice. There are a few LED fixtures that have dimmers on them as well to help you adjust the lighting to your needs.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Hello,

You can still use your T5 light fixture. I use Colormax bulbs to highlight more of the colors in my fish. If you read some of the bulb descriptions you can find ones that work for what you are trying to achieve. Also the newer LED light fixtures are nice as well. Some are mixed with blues and whites which are nice. There are a few LED fixtures that have dimmers on them as well to help you adjust the lighting to your needs.
    Thank you for the response! I'm starting to lean towards LEDs because they're more energy efficient. Do you think a 48" LED fixture can provide enough light (in terms of lighting up the entire tank) on a 125 gallon (6 feet long)? I'm actually looking at this product, it has the option to add more bulbs in if I do need them:

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquariu...pr_product_top

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I have an Beamworks 36" LED light on my 125G tank. I'm totally satisfied with it, provides the right amount of lighting for my biotope effect.

Anything will work. I happen to just use sunlight though on my fish only tanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

I use 4 foot shop lights......LOL.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by rocklobster View Post
    Thank you for the response! I'm starting to lean towards LEDs because they're more energy efficient. Do you think a 48" LED fixture can provide enough light (in terms of lighting up the entire tank) on a 125 gallon (6 feet long)? I'm actually looking at this product, it has the option to add more bulbs in if I do need them:

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquariu...pr_product_top
    that is what I have on my 125. To me it is enough. I post a photo in a second.

Registered Member

Thank you for the feedback guys! I'm debating either the Beamswork or Aqueon 48" LED lights. Leaning towards the Aqueon because I can pick it up locally instead of ordering it online

Registered Member Madaboutdiscus's Avatar

I have a beams work on mine looks awesome. On a side note my boyfriend ordered a Marineland for his. Same style and everything and his is not nearly the quality of mine. I know beams work is a little cheapie Chinese brand but it works well.

-Victoria