AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Al from Sammamish, WA (Seattle Metro area)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Almon Dao

Default Al from Sammamish, WA (Seattle Metro area)

Hi folks,

My name is Almon (Al for short) and I'm getting back into the aquarium scene after quite a few years (early 90's) hiatus due to work/kids - Boy have things changes a lot since the 90's in this hobby.

I've had plenty of experience with aquariums starting with my first 20 gallon at 8 years of age with 2 convict cichlids. In college I had maintained 7 different tanks in my bedroom. 2 Marine tanks, and 1 brackish, and 4 fresh tanks + 2 water change tanks. Previous experience with Discus has been starting with 6 x 2" Cobalt discus from LFS (back then [early 90's] not a lot of varieties like today), and ending up with a pair of breeding adults with some frys. (Only 4 of the fry's made it to adulthood, but this was in a planted tank with gravel etc.) Bought my cobalt discus from Blue Sierra when they used to be in Issaquah, then a Japanese breeder on Ranier Ave (not sure if they are there anymore) and a breeder named Mark Getzendaner in his basement, (my main source of beef heart mix).

Current aquarium/ponds,
    Outdoor pond in front of my house - just over 2000 gallons, 6 gold fish, regular visiting frogs and various water lilies (great source of clean earth worms and amphipods in summer months).
    20 gallon tank with black neon tetras as a project for the kids.

I am currently setting up a 32"x 24" x 20" (W x D x H) 66 gallon aquarium, with 28 gallon sump, and LED lighting, and will most likely be purchasing Discus to stock the tank.

Any information on good local food sources, like beef heart mix, etc... or even local breeders would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Default Re: Al from Sammamish, WA (Seattle Metro area)

Hey Al
    I'm a fellow Seattle Discus nut. Kacey has a add for some LSSxEruptions for sale on craigslist. They are small right now but grow super fast. He only has around 10 breeders but they are some of the best quality shape/size/color I have ever seen. His breeder males are all between 7-8 honest inches and around 1.5-2" thick. Another option is I get fish from Kenny (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...ty-California) pretty much on a monthly basis and am always willing to split shipping. Lastly another breeder from south of Seattle has two prs she picked up from me (Steindecker xForrest stock) and she has pigeon and BD/Scorpion fry for sale. Give me a call 360-eightsixtwo-3300 or if you want to check out the quality of Kennys stock come on up. Always like showing my Discus and fishroom off!!
    Zach

Real Name
    Chris

Hi

I am also in Sammamish. The sponsors here on SD are top notch.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Almon Dao

Thanks Zach and Chris,

I was wondering if either one of you uses pool sand in your tanks and where you get it if you do? Also what do you feed them, and where do you source the food?

I don't really plan on breeding Discus, so have thought about getting 5 x 4-5" specimens from Kenny after looking through this forum. If they end up pairing up and breeding then I may start a separate tank. But for now this is my display tank. Zach - I may just take you up on the offer to checkout the Kenny stock you have. I saw quite a few on his site that I'd be interested in acquiring. First I have to finish cycling my tank I will also be using Z1 media so it may take a little longer

-Al

I feed Forrest Aquabits, Tetra Bits, and frozen bloodworms/black worms. My shift changed at work so home through the day till 3pm and weekends. Your welcome anytime just shoot me a message. I'm getting 4 from Kenny this month so plenty of room in the box for more I have plenty of room in my fish room and have no problem holding them for a bit, plus it will be 2-3 weeks before the June shipment will be through Kenny's stricked quarantine process.

I when to seattle once, unfortunately all I really remember is snow sooooo much snow. Anyway, on the sunny side welcome to the forum and all the best