AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Wilds without bars

Default Wilds without bars

I just bought two very nice adult red Alenquers, and the tank pics from the vendor showed them with very bold and distinct bars, but when I got them home, after a few days the bars are gone. I haven't seem them "turn their bars on" in two months now. They are social, active, and eat like pigs, just no bars. I prefer bars on wilds, but if they're healthy I don't care very much; but is it a symptom of something else?

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Wilds without bars

No bars is a good thing. You may prefer to see them for whatever reason, but other than maybe a center bar I wouldn't want to see them!! Your fish clearly are doing well, I'd keep doing what you are doing. Just took this photo of one of mine yesterday. You can clearly see his bars are lurking there but he doesn't have them turned on (or inverted) which is a good indication to me that its doing well. I want to see this, dark bars makes me double take at the tank to see whats wrong.

Same with this one. Center bar showing fairly well but the others are quite hidden, this is a good sign IMO. I'm ok with the center bar but anything else again I'm double taking at the tank.
    -Matt

It is just a symptom of the fish being at ease in their environment so I'd say you are doing a good job. Any pics?
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Agree with Matt and Paul. If my wilds show consistent bars I start looking for a problem. Alenquer region fish quite often show the center bar and and one directly behind it as Matt illustrated. My sub-adult wilds will sometimes show light bars when feeding when I believe is a sign of submission. The bars are used all sorts of communication between the fish, submission, dominance, breeding state etc. If you look at my avatar the fish in front is a wild female Tefe showing her breeding bars.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

This fish looks just like mine....I'll post pics but again he's social and an aggressive eater and shows no signs of distress.