AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help! Discus Problem

Real Name
    Fernando

Exclamation Help! Discus Problem

I have a 110 gallon tank with 8 adult male Discus. Some Anubia plants and swords, no CO2 system though. 2 large pieces of wood. I have been running the tank for over 2 years. One of my favorite discus "brilliant blue" just got a few holes around the top part of the eye. It first started with some type of white fungus or parasite coming out and now it looks like a few holes only one of them deep. All discus are eating flakes, beefheart and blood worms and look healthy/very active.

My question: what is the best way to treat hole in the head disease? It is contagious?
    Has anyone been successful with METRO+ from health aid?
    Should I seperate the fish and treat it?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Help! Discus Problem

Please fill out this questionnaire http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete and a picture of the affected area would be helpful.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Fernando

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

- All discus look healthy and are eating great. I noticed the fungus/parasite coming out of the top of the eye 2 week ago, but after that went away I notice the holes (only one deep). I added a plant to my tank about 3 weeks ago that had some fungus on the previous tank, I cleaned the plant before I added it to my tank. Maybe this was a factor that caused it.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

No symptoms. I only see the holes.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

110 gallon, 8 adult male discus 5-7inch and some tetras

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Every 3 to 4 days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

2 years. Sand. 32" deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I use only RO water and do age the water. I add about 8 cups of tap water for every 25 gallons of RO to price some minerals.
    PH is around 6.0 my tank ph is a little lower

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

I don't have a test kit. I believe I have good beneficial bacteria for ammonia and nitrite
    Maybe I do get some nitrate.

- temp __84

- ph __6.0

- ammonia reading __0

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

See above for this...

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

I added anubia plants and 5 discus fry in platic container.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Real Name
    Fernando

Hope you guys can see on the pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images