AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Rafflesia shedding slime coat???

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

Default Rafflesia shedding slime coat???

Hi
    One of my discus, which is one of 3 Rafflesias has been shedding the back half of her slime coat last couple months. I thought maybe microbubbles may have something to do with it so I am also aerating the aged water. Water gets stress coat added to it every time that I do a water change. PH is about 7.4 always.
    Anyone have this experience?
    All my discus are healthy, active, and always feeding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Rafflesia shedding slime coat???

Are you sure that is not just a variation in the color/pattern? There really is no reason to add stress coat, a normal dechlorinator like prime or safe is better IMHO.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

Yes she is definitely peeling. She was completely red when I got her. It was just a small area near the tail and has worked toward the front. I was going to change to Prime BTW after reading some other posts that it was better than stress coat.

Real Name
    Rick

Yes she is definitely peeling. She was completely red when I got her. It was just a small area near the tail and has worked toward the front.
    I am not quite sure you understand what slime coat is? Shedding slime cot really should not effect the coloration of the fish. Based on the pictures it appears the fish might have been heavily color fed and now it's effects are gradually wearing off?

-Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I am not quite sure you understand what slime coat is? Shedding slime cot really should not effect the coloration of the fish. Based on the pictures it appears the fish might have been heavily color fed and now it's effects are gradually wearing off?

-Rick
    Well maybe that is the case. I have no idea. I have had these 3 rafflessias for four months now and my other 2 that I purchased along with that one is not peeling at all.....but the one peeling is the darkest red one of all three fish. I did purchase from a reputable breeder. Well, I guess that I will be feeding more to bring the red back. I have some of Al's freeze dried black worms with bio on the way.
    Last edited by dmheric; 03-09-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

Peeling isn't really the right way to put it. Fading would be better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

so, you have had those fish for four months? Seems as if they should have grown a bit more.....Can I inquire about your water change routine and what you feed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    so, you have had those fish for four months? Seems as if they should have grown a bit more.....Can I inquire about your water change routine and what you feed?
    Three rafflesias, 2 are almost 5" and the fading one which is the smallest is about 4'+. I do a 50% WC every day in my 55 gallon tank. The other 3 discus are smaller 3". Age my tap water 24 hours and add stress coat to it before I add it to the tank. I test once a week PH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. I feed variety 5 or 6 times every day. FDBW, FD brine shrimp, beefheart flakes and FD tubifex. I am waiting on some of Al's FD Black worms and also some spectrum A pellets.
    Last edited by dmheric; 03-09-2015 at 11:10 PM.