AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: JEHMCO Metro

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Default JEHMCO Metro

Hi All,

Per the breeders instructions, I'm trying to treat my Discus tank with Metro. I ordered from JEHMCO; however, the instructions are very confusing. I've researched but I'm really no good at this. Could someone PLEASE just tell me how many teaspoons I would need to treat a 100 gal tank to get 500 mg of Metro per 10 gal. This stuff is WAY over my head.

Thanks,

Penny

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Default Re: JEHMCO Metro

Just under a 1/4 teaspoon for ten gallons. I will try to get a picture.
    The picture shows .5 grams or 500 mg of jehmco metro.

Not sure about your dosing though. The instructions call for 1/4 teaspoon per 41 gallons. However, I tend to dose according to one of Andrew Soh's books at 1 gram per 100 liters which would be about .38 grams per 10 gallons. So this would be 3.8 grams per 100 gallons of water.

3.667 grams = one teaspoon on my scales. So I would use 1.36 teaspoons or 1 3/8 teaspoons for 100 gallons at 500mg per 10 gal.

I am not saying this is how you should dose though. Good luck.

Last edited by Kingdom Come Discus; 03-16-2015 at 01:13 PM.
    Kraig

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

IME/O it's well worth going on e-bay and picking up a digital gram scale that measures down to 1/100 of a gram. You can get way more accurate dosing amounts using that than using a measuring spoon. I'm pretty sure I got mine for less than $15 delivered. Metro is pretty forgiving if you overdose with it, other medications not so much.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

WOW, thanks so much!!! I really didn't know I needed to be a chemist/microbiologist to own Discus or I might have thought twice about doing it. If is wasn't for this site I would have failed long ago.

THANKS AGAIN, it is very much appreciated!!

Will order scale ASAP.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by pgrhodes1 View Post
    I really didn't know I needed to be a chemist/microbiologist to own Discus or I might have thought twice about doing it.
    Yeah, but now you're IN THE CLUB! Sort of like the Hotel California, you can check in, but you can never check out LOL! By the way, Metro is a very safe medication, it's OK if you dose more that the given amount. I would follow Kraig's guidelines if I were you, even thought he said he's not giving advice. It sounds good to me. -Don

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

I think I confused a few today with my post. Not unusual for me to confuse others.

I think what was confusing is because I mentioned 3 different strength doses for metro.

The first was what the manufacturer recommended.

The second was what Andrew Soh recommended in his Naked Truth Book.

The third was the strength Penny wanted to use on her tank at 500 mg per 10 gallons.

First here is a confused member who was nice enough to PM me with his question.
    In your post : So this would be 3.8 grams per 100 gallons of water.

3.667 grams = one teaspoon on my scales. So I would use 1.36 teaspoons or 1 3/8 teaspoons for 100 gallons at 500mg per 10 gal.

I think you should calulated the follpwing: I tsp= 3.667 Grams
    so X tsp = 3.8 grams
    X = 3.8/3.667
    X = 1.0367 tsp or about 1 1/32 tsp not 1 3/8

What do you think?

I can not post on the meds so I will leave it with you.

Here is how I derived my answer for Penny's desired Strength.

My metro weighed 3.667 grams per 1 teaspoon.
    She was trying to achieve a concentration of 500 mg per 10 gallons and was wanting to treat a 100 gallon tank at this strength.
    So 500 mg = .5 grams x 10 (for ten ten gallon tanks) = 5 grams
    I took 5 grams and divided it by my 3.667 grams per teaspoon. I get 1.3635 which translates into 1 and 5.81/16 teaspoons. I rounded off the 5.81/16 teaspoons to 3/8 of a teaspoon.

If this is not correct please let me know what I did wrong. I sure don't want to give wrong info. or continue to medicate my fish wrong.

The 3.8 grams per 100 gallons of water was the formula for Andrew Soh's recommended dose. I get the same answer as you do using Andrew's Strength.

Thanks,
    Kraig
    Kraig

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Thanks again Kraig,

My eyes are still crossed from trying to understand but even I can see you know what you're talking about…. Started treatment yesterday following your calculations and all is good.

Penny