AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: mom takes a beating

Default mom takes a beating

had to pull my female yesterday. she was eaten up pretty good from the fry, she almost turned black she was so dark, the male didn't darken much so most of the fry hung on mom. finally she had enough, she was hanging in the bubbles from the filter trying to shake the kids and was nipping if not eating some fry so I pulled her and left dad to do his part.

so my question is, how long do you think she will need to rebuild her slime coat so I can put her back in?

Real Name
    John

Default Re: mom takes a beating

I would say as long as possible. Each individual has a different healing rate. I hope she pulls through.

You may not want to put her back in at all. How old are the fry? If they're over a week old, are you feeding baby brine shrimp? If they're 3 weeks old, you could if necessary remove both the parents and feed bbs, ground up FDBWs, finely diced or minced quality flake, etc. I would say the mom is much more valuable than the fry, and if you return her to the tank, it will increase her level of stress. Let us know how it works out. -Don

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

LOL....She will be fine. This is fairly normal. How old are the fry and what else are you feeding them?

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Fry went free swimming on 4-6. Not feeding them anything else I never did in the past but this is the first time I've had this issue myself. I know its pretty common. Dads doing fine but I guess its time to fire up the bbs hatchery

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Yep I would hit them hard with BBS. Leave the female out until the next time you want to spawn them.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

got some going today. tried both old eggs and some new ones to compare hatch out. had issues last try with BBS

so, the fry hit 3 weeks old and I pulled dad and put him back with mom in a new 29. didn't take them any time at all and they are watching another batch of eggs!

question though, how long do you feed bbs? mine are eating others foods but I hate to cut out the bbs quite yet.
    mike