ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Spinning Discus Made it!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Default Spinning Discus Made it!!

We recently had a scare. One of our discus had a violent spinning episode, then laid on the bottom of the tank, only to get up and hide for the next day. He had a second erratic swimming episode and looked terrible, and all the posts indicated whirling disease... Or owner error with; water changes, temperature, ph, nitrate (usual perimeter necessities) blame comments that are un-useful. We believe that we have found the culprit in our case, it was frozen bloodworms purchased at a chain pet store (not interested in outing any particular company),but maybe (guess) it had thawed and re-froze, we do know that since not repeating the use of this stock, we have had no further incident, and our lovely discus has recovered. Whirling disease is not episodic, the contaminated fish will continue to spin or swim erratic patterns until death. Sick fish will hide, use decorations in the tank as props, and behave listlessly. We opened the lid, put on comforting music, dimmed the lights and opened the curtain for natural sunlight. Maybe this did nothing, but it made us feel like we were trying, and he got better.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Spinning Discus Made it!!

You are the first person I know who tried the comforting music trick, but you have to try everything right?

I'm glad your discus went back to normal. Is your discus wild by any chance? Was this the only discus eating the blood worms? If not, did the others show this behavior as well? Lastly, since you made this assessment, have you tried feeding BW again?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com