ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: youtube video of Ds in nature - any experts here care to validate it?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: youtube video of Ds in nature - any experts here care to validate it?

cool video pat, I think if I was ever to be something other than a human, I would want to be a discus fish in the amazon
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: youtube video of Ds in nature - any experts here care to validate it?

Mother Nature, you need to do a water change!

Awesome videos. That flies in the face of me thinking that discus do not like a good current. This changes my opinion on that for sure.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Ya so much for that thought my juvis love yhere water change and seem to seek the current of the hose, in thr wild they seem to enjoy it but the look for the protection of the driftwood, i wanna thank pat for her editing those videos for me i didn't know how to make them more accessible thanks again Pat! - Lighthouse

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse7 View Post
    Ya so much for that thought my juvis love yhere water change and seem to seek the current of the hose, in thr wild they seem to enjoy it but the look for the protection of the driftwood, i wanna thank pat for her editing those videos for me i didn't know how to make them more accessible thanks again Pat! - Lighthouse
    If you hit "quote" on Pat's message, you will actually see the coding needed in order to directly embed a video. This is a great way to learn how to do this action, as many have a hard time doing it. Follow her BB code, and insert your code from a video you'd like to embed in its place.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Thanks Ricardo thats why we have you and Pat, and all the great moderators and elder members to teach us the ropes Lol - Lighthouse

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Awesome videos. That flies in the face of me thinking that discus do not like a good current. This changes my opinion on that for sure.
    you'll learn young padiwan

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    This vid show wild discus breeding in the flooded forest.

This video is part of this film.
    My wild Browns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO_r41J-o6M

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    This vid show wild discus breeding in the flooded forest.

good video, do you know what kind of wild that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Fundulopanchax View Post
    A very typical dry season habitat and Hudson is one of the premier collectors. I visited about 40 years ago and this was the way it looked. In the dry season, discus live in large groups within roots/branches of downed trees. These are usually near the bank but can be farther out if a large tree with many branches is present. The discus are near the surface (3-5 feet for the ones I observed) whereas most of the other local fishes tend to be lower, toward the substrate. Most of the time the depth is in the 10-20 feet range with the discus in the upper half, among the tangle. One thing that these videos, and my limited experience, emphasize is that discus are generally in areas with a good amount of current (rarely rivers, these are side tributaries and lakes [wide areas in the tributaries with relatively low flow] so they get called lakes). In my display tank, I have a fairly powerful powerhead at one end that sends a current across the 6 feet in the upper half of the water column (and by reflection a noticeable current at the bottom) and the discus are often found within the stronger part of the current which they seem to enjoy greatly - it is not so great that they are blown around but they do tend to orient headward into it. I had a breakdown in a powerhead a few years back and couldnt get to the store to get another for several days. The discus really sulked during the days without the current.

I would guess that there are so many other fishes in this video since they are interested in the diver, some of the Leporinus are picking at the camera. Crenicichla for example stay near the bottom but are extremely curious and the larger ones always approach divers. The other schooling fishes typically are higher up like these and just pass through - and are often present in astonishing numbers.

For outstanding discussions of the various habitats see Bleher's Discus, volume 1. He describes various habitats for the different discus species in great detail, including water parameters, photos of specific discus from the area and lists, with many photos, of the other fishes found with the discus and around the discus habitats. The presence of some other fish species can identify which discus species are present and exactly what rivers are being observed. For example, if you see discus and Uaru's together you are almost certainly looking at Heckel discus and so on.

Ron
    that book is $388 bucks on amazon....hmmm....guess i'll be searching elsewhere!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    good video, do you know what kind of wild that is?
    No clue Jack.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12