AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Can I rig up an aqueon water changer cheaply?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Been called alot of things

Default Can I rig up an aqueon water changer cheaply?

Is it possible to buy just the faucet adapter and then buy the hose at home depot seperately? If so can you tell me what is the hose diameter I'd need? This is for the Aqueon water changer.

Default Re: Can I rig up an aqueon water changer cheaply?

I know there videos on youtube to do it.Try uder made water changer or python.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Real Name
    Ramon

It's possible, you can buy parts by parts on ebay.
    When God leads you to the edge of a cliff....Trust him fully and let go....
    Only two things can happen....
    Either, " He will catch you when you fall...or He will teach you how to fly....."

Registered Member

Waterbed filler and a standard garden hose are all you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterbed-FILL-.../dp/B0084FFL7A

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
    Waterbed filler and a standard garden hose are all you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterbed-FILL-.../dp/B0084FFL7A
    You my friend get points for LINK OF THE WEEK! . That is super cheap to an otherwise more expensive alternative. Great find.

Edit: I will add, if you are going to use a regular garden hose, please consider buying a drinking water hose. I bought mine off Amazon and it was super cheap for a 25ft one and I couldn't be happier:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Mervin

Water bed gadgets work well and are usually a lot cheaper than pet store pythons.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Been called alot of things

Thanks everyone! I'm known for rigging and halfassing any project, but I bit the bullet and ordered the Python no spill. I was gonna get the Aqueon. but after reading reviews it seems like the Python might be better quality.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    You my friend get points for LINK OF THE WEEK! . That is super cheap to an otherwise more expensive alternative. Great find.

Edit: I will add, if you are going to use a regular garden hose, please consider buying a drinking water hose. I bought mine off Amazon and it was super cheap for a 25ft one and I couldn't be happier:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00
    lol Thanks! Too bad the OP didn't choose this as an option. Its really the exact same thing as the python; its just blue and does not have the python name (and you have to source your own hose and connections if needed/wanted; but chances are a lot of people have stuff like this at home already). As far as the hoses go; there are garden hoses marketed for RV use which note they are safe for potable water. I've honestly never used anything other than standard garden hose though.

Real Name
    Ricardo

lol Thanks! Too bad the OP didn't choose this as an option. Its really the exact same thing as the python; its just blue and does not have the python name (and you have to source your own hose and connections if needed/wanted; but chances are a lot of people have stuff like this at home already). As far as the hoses go; there are garden hoses marketed for RV use which note they are safe for potable water. I've honestly never used anything other than standard garden hose though.
    I've used both, and honestly, at $10 for the hose, I really couldn't complain. I would have bought what you linked to in a heart beat if I still did my water changes that way. I am all about automation now though and it takes me roughly 10-15 minutes to do a 60% WC on a 75g.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I've used both, and honestly, at $10 for the hose, I really couldn't complain. I would have bought what you linked to in a heart beat if I still did my water changes that way. I am all about automation now though and it takes me roughly 10-15 minutes to do a 60% WC on a 75g.
    How are your water changes automated? I've got 15 tanks in my fishroom and am contemplating what I'm going to do in the future to simplify things a bit more. None of my tanks are drilled so I'm thinking of trying some sort drip system with an overflow of sorts. Still undecided.

Real Name
    Ricardo

How are your water changes automated? I've got 15 tanks in my fishroom and am contemplating what I'm going to do in the future to simplify things a bit more. None of my tanks are drilled so I'm thinking of trying some sort drip system with an overflow of sorts. Still undecided.
    sorry, automated was the wrong word. I have things plummed up so that it makes wc's easier. I haven't lifted a bucket in many years, and don't plan to ever again

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

sorry, automated was the wrong word. I have things plummed up so that it makes wc's easier. I haven't lifted a bucket in many years, and don't plan to ever again
    Gotcha. I'm done lifting buckets too; but am still looking to make the process a bit easier!