ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kordon Rid Ich Plus and bacteria bloom?

Default Re: Kordon Rid Ich Plus and bacteria bloom?

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    am I crazy here? I thought it was common knowledge that a bacterial bloom was caused by not having enough nitrifying bacteria. when you kill off a lot of your beneficial bacteria and do not lower your bioload the result is a bacterial bloom. the bloom is the bacteria's attempt to suddenly try to regenerate itself to absorb/convert the ammonia/nitrites...
    yeah, makes sense. i read that its in the water column because there is not enough surface area in the tank and filter for it to attach to so it just floats in the water

so you guys think it kills off bacteria, even though Kordon claims it won't.... seems plausible...it certainly does something to cloud up and and stink up the water.

thanks for help/info/thoughts.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Bacterial bloom, if that's what was behind the cloudiness, is caused by excess organic material such as proteins in the water column. These are whitish heterotrophic bacteria that feed on organic materials and reproduce really fast. Nitrifying bacteria reproduce much too slowly to cause a bacterial bloom, and nitrifying bacteria don't "eat" organic material, instead they consume inorganic ammonia and nitrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Of course. It's formalin/malachite green. It will certainly kill off some beneficial nitrifying bacteria.
    Die off = waste or excess organics.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonic View Post
    Bacterial bloom, if that's what was behind the cloudiness, is caused by excess organic material such as proteins in the water column. These are whitish heterotrophic bacteria that feed on organic materials and reproduce really fast. Nitrifying bacteria reproduce much too slowly to cause a bacterial bloom, and nitrifying bacteria don't "eat" organic material, instead they consume inorganic ammonia and nitrite.
    okay thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12