AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes - I am SOOOOO hungry!

Default Re: I am SOOOOO hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If it's as good as it reads it will be on my list of go to recipes. I was planning on the Jambalaya next weekend but I've made that. It's wonderful but it is no longer a challenge. I have all week to decide but I'm leaning toward making your Cannelloni.

Barb, I'll put you up and cook for you any time. You might be frightened out here in my wilderness with the only protection being 7 worthless dogs

If you do try it this week-end Liz, I know you'll let me know honestly what you think - If I know only one thing about you, Liz, it's that nobody has to be concerned about you not being entirely candid - you always tell it exactly the way it is - no messing around. And that's the way it should be imho. LOL

Anyone want a recipe for a delicious no fail Chicken Paprika that all but makes itself?
    And I'd like the recipe for the Chicken Paprika.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Feeling hungry all over again!

If you guys have one, would love a good recipe, or at least a good walk through on how to cook crab perfectly. I have tried and failed at least 3 times. Not failed as in it made me sick or wasn't well cooked, it just didn't taste as good as I know it should have tasted! My mother once brought me crab from SF (already made by her friend) and when I dug in to that, I swear I was in heaven. As I said, I am a huge seafood fan.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Also, I'd like to mention that I would love it if you guys/gals could post recipes for breakfast. I find myself cooking the same ol' things for my son and myself week after week and would love to get better dishes to put on the table. Here'st he thing, I've been trying to eat things that are more healthy, so no bacon, or stuff that has a lot of grease and or fat. We love oatmeal in the morning as well as eggs mixed with scallions and mushrooms (we love mushrooms!) among other things. French toast is about the least healthy thing but we only eat that once in a while and the syrup has no high fructose corn syrup. So again, I try to be very mindful about eating healthier than I did growing up.

P.S., keep in mind, we are a Hispanic household and eating unhealthy (round the clock) seems to be a trademark around here, but, slowly but surely I am trying to get us out of this mentality which is why I wanted to start cooking and expanding my dishes.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

This is so good it shouldn't be this easy.

Slice an onion and put it in the bottom of a crock pot.
    Season 4 bone in chicken thighs first with salt, then pepper, then paprika. (you can overdo the salt if you're too heavy handed but you cannot overdo the pepper and paprika). shake off the excesses seasoning.
    Put thighs in crook pot. Pour in 1/2 c water. Cover and cook on high for 8 hrs.
    Take chicken out and remove bones when it's cool enough.
    Mix 3/4 c sour cream into liquid.
    Thicken liquid with flour mixed with with water if necessary.
    put chicken back in and mix it all well.

good over egg noodles or rice.
    Mama Bear

Ricardo, the only crab I can get is Alaskan King Crab legs. They come to my supermarket frozen and pre-cooked. Despite that they are heavenly. I steam them until they're warmed through. I have them with melted butter (I never bother with clarifying it as I should) I squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into the butter. That's it!

I'm afraid I'm not a breakfast eater. My breakfast is always the same thing and I did without breakfast before I found wonderful rye bread from New York!!! I finally broke down and ordered it when it became impossible to buy a good loaf in my area. All people buy here is that soft garbage. I have a slice toasted with lightly salted butter. It costs a dang fortune but you can have 5 loves shipped for the same price it costs to ship 1 and freeze the extra loves till you're ready for them. If you want a wonderful rye bread you can find it here: https://www.zingermans.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=B-RYE
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Feeling hungry all over again!

If you guys have one, would love a good recipe, or at least a good walk through on how to cook crab perfectly. I have tried and failed at least 3 times. Not failed as in it made me sick or wasn't well cooked, it just didn't taste as good as I know it should have tasted! My mother once brought me crab from SF (already made by her friend) and when I dug in to that, I swear I was in heaven. As I said, I am a huge seafood fan.
    Ricardo, here's a really well-explained youtube video on how to cook & clean Dungeness Crabs, which are readily available in S.F., and hopefully also in your area.
    Dungeness Crabs are very common & always available along the north-west coast, and imo is the tastiest crab available. My wife & I have them steamed several times a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_xvzYGAWM

If for some reason the video doesn't appear properly, just google how to cook and clean Dungeness Crab & you'll find the video link.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Ricardo, here's a really well-explained youtube video on how to cook & clean Dungeness Crabs, which are readily available in S.F., and hopefully also in your area.
    Dungeness Crabs are very common & always available along the north-west coast, and imo is the tastiest crab available. My wife & I have them steamed several times a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_xvzYGAWM

If for some reason the video doesn't appear properly, just google how to cook and clean Dungeness Crab & you'll find the video link.
    Very cool video! I have never done the ice bath technique and this may be one of things that may be hindering my tasty crab. I will try this next time. Thanks for sharing.

Side note, would you all like me to edit OP and include the shared recipes so that we do not have to bounce back and forth through the thread?

Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Paul, my favorite scallops are the little calico scallops. It is a small scallops native to Florida water. You lightly coat them with flour, add a 1/4 of oil to a skillet and fry until done. Careful not to overdo it.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

so no bacon
    GASP!!!

I'm not a big breakfast person either, I used to be and would be again as I love breakfast foods but don't have much time. Would also love some breakfast ideas, though include anything healthy or unhealthy like bacon you like for me!
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Paul, my favorite scallops are the little calico scallops. It is a small scallops native to Florida water. You lightly coat them with flour, add a 1/4 of oil to a skillet and fry until done. Careful not to overdo it.
    Pat
    We can get them here, Pat - or something very much like them, although the name 'Calico' does ring a bell - and I do like them. Like you said though, don't overcook them or they'll be hard & rubbery.

Very cool video! I have never done the ice bath technique and this may be one of things that may be hindering my tasty crab. I will try this next time. Thanks for sharing.

Side note, would you all like me to edit OP and include the shared recipes so that we do not have to bounce back and forth through the thread?
    Not sure what you're suggesting to be done here Ricardo, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    GASP!!!

I'm not a big breakfast person either, I used to be and would be again as I love breakfast foods but don't have much time. Would also love some breakfast ideas, though include anything healthy or unhealthy like bacon you like for me!
    Matt,
    If you haven't tried it (but hopefully you can find it in your area) - I suggest you give Peameal Bacon a go if you can find it.
    It's a cured back bacon - no fat whatsoever, very tasty and not at all salty - the curing is different from that applied to most bacons.
    It's coated with peameal of course, which gives it a nice taste. I've used that bacon almost exclusively for many years - certainly not unhealthy, and a nice change from many other bacons, including Canadian Back Bacon.

I'm not big on breakfasts, but I'll try to come up with something interesting/tasty. I do make several different types of Frittatas - like Quiches but without the dough crusts - more like a thick omelet. There are meaty ones, seafood ones, and strictly veggie ones - all quite cheesy & excellent.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Not sure what you're suggesting to be done here Ricardo, but it sounds like a good idea to me.
    I simply mean, should I copy/paste all of the provided recipes so far and include them in my first post so that it makes it easier to find, rather than going through page after page? Keep in mind, we are on the 5th page already.

Cafepress.com

I think you should. Hopefully others agree, and hopefully some will also continue recipe posting besides mainly Liz and me.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I don't necessarily have recipes to be honest. I have only ever cracked a cookbook open and actually gone through a recipe but a handful of times, but know that I can go step by step if needed. However, the way I have learned to cook is simply via experimentation. I love steaks and I cook them often. Since starting to cook steaks I have realized that I love adding the following: garlic, pepper, worcestershire sauce, rosemary and I learned to braise meats. Also, I love basting a good steak with butter. I know I said I want to start eating healthier, and basting with butter may have something to do with that! lol

Cafepress.com

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast