AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Good starter strain for breeding

Registered Member

Default Good starter strain for breeding

I have noticed that one of the more common strains that people breed are some form of turq. Is that because the parents color is best for getting young to attach?

Do pigeon based pairs not color correctly for the young to attach?

I would like to buy a group of red based discus in the hopes of breeding them someday. I do not see as many home breeders in the fry section with pigeon based reds, are they much more difficult. Should I try to buy some virgin reds vs red melon to try as a first breeding project?

How about the spotted variants like penang eruption, or leopards? Are they difficult to breed, is that why you don't see them as often?

Registered Member Md. Shafiqual Alam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shibly

Default Re: Good starter strain for breeding

Through my little experience, non-PB is better than PB to start. Because it is easy to understand the stress status of non-PB as well as after hatching no one need to take any additional initiative to highlight them to fry for attachment. Sometime I found that fries do not get enough food from PB parents. Moreover, less than 3" to 3.5" PB sometime shows piper if light and food not well balanced. In this case Non-PB is awesome, color may not be vibrant if food & light is not good but still looks nice with little effort. So my preference for Brown, Blue Diamond, Cobalt blue, Ocean green, Brilliant and Red/blue Turq where not prefer spotted variants like penang eruption, or leopards, snakeskin for beginner as they are highly sensitive considering water parameter tolerance capability IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by azmtns View Post
    I have noticed that one of the more common strains that people breed are some form of turq. Is that because the parents color is best for getting young to attach?

Do pigeon based pairs not color correctly for the young to attach?

I would like to buy a group of red based discus in the hopes of breeding them someday. I do not see as many home breeders in the fry section with pigeon based reds, are they much more difficult. Should I try to buy some virgin reds vs red melon to try as a first breeding project?

How about the spotted variants like penang eruption, or leopards? Are they difficult to breed, is that why you don't see them as often?

Registered Member

Default Re: Good starter strain for breeding

Thank you, that helps my understanding. I will follow your advise.