AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Good Pair?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Default Good Pair?

I have a pair and i'm wondering if they are worth breeding, the female is a Royal Red Flora and the male is a Blue Altum Flora Stripe.

P1020681.jpg

Default Re: Good Pair?

IMO, ... hells yes! Great looking pair. Too bad for me you're in Alberta... because I would be hounding you for some fry. Really love the shape too.
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

I have not been able to get fry to live past wiggler stage and don't have RO water to breed them successfully. I was thinking of getting them an RO Unit or selling them.

Registered Member

What do you mean "live past wiggler stage"?
    Do they totally hatch from the egg shell?
    And when they are wiggling where is this located?
    On the cone?

Quote Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
    I have not been able to get fry to live past wiggler stage and don't have RO water to breed them successfully. I was thinking of getting them an RO Unit or selling them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

They lay the eggs and fertilize them, I never get more than 20 wigglers. They do completely hatch. By the time they are supposed to be free swimming they are all gone. It might not be the TDS but most of the eggs are always white. I have a piece of slate they lay on.

Real Name
    Mervin

Maybe your water current is too fast.I see what looks like a large out let for a big filter in the first pic.Very nice pair.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

This isn't the tank I tried breeding them in. I gave up trying after the 6th attempt and moved them back to my 90g with 9 other discus. They were in a 47g tall with sponge filter.

Real Name
    Ralph

Dylan...you got yourself a nice pair that I would work with. I think that is a wave maker or power-head? It is important that any current is to a minimal in a breeder tank or completely off if you see them making passes. What is your TDS presently?

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Dylan...you got yourself a nice pair that I would work with. I think that is a wave maker or power-head? It is important that any current is to a minimal in a breeder tank or completely off if you see them making passes. What is your TDS presently?

...Ralph
    The tank in the picture is not the breeding tank, that is my 90g that was a filter outake for a fx6. When I tried breeding them they were in a 47g(20x18x30) with just a sponge filter and slate to lay eggs on. My TDS is really high but not sure exactly, my GH is 15+.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

I think you have a nice pair of fish worth breeding.

I have a leopard pair I got from Kenny in February or March. They have laid eggs a dozen times and each time there is a progression in their success. First they laid eggs and they would eat them, later some would hatch, then some would hatch and attach. Each time they would eventually dissapear from the tank. Right now they have about 30 - 40 fry that are eating BBS and the parents seem to tolerate the fry on them better.

The same thing happened with a Red White pair I have, but over a much longer period of time. I currently have 7 of their babies at about 1 1/2".

Real Name
    Jacklyn

good pair................uhh yea!!!! a great pair.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Well I think i'll try again here in the next couple months after I get a 29g and get it cycled. I don't think I was doing enough water changes last time, I was going every 2nd day at 25% and not wiping the inside trying not to stress them so they wouldn't eat the eggs, this was my mistake i'm pretty sure now that i've done more reading. Hopefully I have success with better tank cleaning.