Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
How many of us give our bank card numbers when buying off the internet. I was ordering things from a business a few times without a problem. Then one day I received a text from that business asking me why I cancelled a large order. I then checked my bank account and $3400.00 was missing. That was what my daily limit for that account was. Long story shot. I got my money back after 9 days; I don't know how they stole money from the "bank" through my account. The bank would not tell me how 'they" stole 'their" money. Said that was a security concern. All they told me it was not my fault; it was a third party. The teller told me that the same thing happened to her daughter and you would think your money would be safe in the bank, she says.
I didn't have $3400 taken, but several years ago a linked website account "pre-authorized" to charge through PayPal got me for $700 and change. I caught it immediately and called the company (Zulilly) and they fixed everything up. I removed all the preauthorizations and put 2FA on my PayPal after that. The problem with the pre-authorization is that I *think* it means you can't really dispute the charges if they come through one of those. It's usually used for subscriptions and that type of thing. Or something like Ebay where your accounts are linked so you can pay/receive money easier.