ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Neocaridina shrimp thoughts

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Default Neocaridina shrimp thoughts

Seems like every where I read they always say that Cherry shrimp are the most prolific breeders out of all the other shrimp. Anyone who has kept more than 1 type of neocaridina at the same time let me know what you think. My blue diamonds breed way more than my cherry's do by far, it not even close. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Default Re: Neocaridina shrimp thoughts

Scott I only have cherries at this time but Im not sure they could be more prolific. Every tank I put them they just breed and breed unless something is there to eat them..
    0521240758~2.jpg

Its possible that you just started with s higher ratio of fertle females blue shrimp that would skew all the observations as to breeding . Its also possible that they just like your water a little better.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Yeah Al I wasn't sure but I was just wondering on anyone else's experience. Not that I am complaining but my experience so far is the opposite.

Real Name
    Dave

Neocardina breed about the same. I have had Cardinal Shrimp years ago right after they were discovered as a new species... but alas I screwed up and used Prime to condition water and killed my colony (that was expensive).

I have purchased culls from a shrimp breeder local to me to put in with rams and checkerboard cichlids, and some got eaten, and some are still in the tank.

Have fun with shrimp, remember to not overfeed as most shrimp eat biofilm. if you only have shrimp in the tank one pinch of flake food every two weeks is sufficient food.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Actually I have been feeding once a day in the mornings for months and they are doing great, the biofilm wouldn't last in my tank of Blue Diamonds if I fed a pinch of flake food once every 2 weeks because there a too many in there for the biofilm to last that long. My shrimp look forward every morning to their feedings they actually sit in the food dish waiting for the food to be dropped in there and absolutely attack it like they haven't eaten in months. And this is after I add Bacter AE in the tanks twice a week.

Real Name
    Matt

I took all but 1 snail out of my Caridina tank, i suspected they mowed most of the biofilm down faster than the shrimp. I'm about to setup some tanks for different Neos and maybe some different Caridina, can't wait.

For the tanks that can't sustain enough biofilm has anyone explored growing biofilm elsewhere and adding it to the tank? Like growing it on pieces of wood and just swapping out wood every so often?
    -Matt

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Matt,
    I am glad you are getting into the Neos and Caridina's. For bio film growth I use Bacter AE twice a week but be careful on how much to use. I use 0.9 grams for a 10 gallon tank. If your tank are going to be bigger just do the math from there. Also my lights stay on over my tanks for 14 hours a day which also helps in algae and biofilm. If you have any questions with Neo's just PM me.

Real Name
    Tom

Matt I do this regularly. Not for the lack of bio-film but because in some of my tanks the algae grows on my wood or anubias. I remove these and add to the shirt tanks and the shrimp devoure it. What’s odd is in their tank there is algae growing that they never touch. But add something from another tank and they go crazy for it.