AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 9 bars, 14 bars

Default 9 bars, 14 bars

First of all, how do you count the bars? Do they iinclude the bar over the eyes and the bar on the tail where the body of the fish and the tail meet? I tried counting and some are 11, some are 12, etc. I've read somewhere about 12 bars. Is that good for breeding to get the finelines?

This brings me to my next series of questions. I've read that 14 bars on SS are preferred to SS with 9 bars to have better chances of SS offspring that are finelines. My question is howcome there are SS that have 9 bars that have finer lines than SS with more bars? (I just count the number of bars on one side of the discus and I include the bar over the eye and the one where the tail and body meet). Which of the two will have more fineline SS?

Registered Member

Default Re:9 bars, 14 bars

Basically, the SS with 14 bars are the true SS. The SS with only 9 bars are throwbacks. The 9 bars are just really fancy Red turks. Yes, you count the bar over the eye all the way to the one on the tail. HTH

-Ryan

Do you know why some varieties have more bars than others? Do all wild discus have the same number?

Registered Member

can any one post here a picture of this " bars "
    i dont know what it is .
    tu

Registered Member

Actually, the original SS discus, as photographed in several discus books was a 9 barred fish. The "wild" SS discus that were captured in the wild are 9 barred fish. It's stated by Johnny Yip in Asian Discus 2 that a SS can have from as few as 6 bars to as many as 16.

The 14 bar rule came into being by commercial breeders needing a "quick" way to determine what would be a SS from a spawn since SS are not true breeding. This way, the fry could be sold quickly, lowering overhead and boosting profits.

If you stop and think about it, the Snakeskin was called such because of the skin pattern, not the number of bars it possessed.

This has been an ongoing source of arguement on these forums for years, and it is never settled. Logic never prevails. ;D

Registered Member

doron,
    The bars, are the verticle stripes on the sides of the fish.
    They come and go, with the mood of the fish, and a lot of the newer fancy fish, don't show them.

Registered Member

thank u
    my english r'nt so good ....
    i didnt know the word to thouse verticle stripes

now i know

doron