AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PVC overflow

Default Re:PVC overflow

this link will work
    http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/W9.htm

no you cannot drill tempered glass, not easily anyway. just side-drill the tank and install a bulkhead as you normaly would do, except use a 90d elbow to point your stand pipe up.

and don't drill your tank at the water line, drill it atleast half way down the height of the tank.

??? and whoever thought it was a good idea too tap tanks at the water should get a kick in the *** :spank:, or atleast come and patch my tanks ???

Registered Member

[quote author=trucdan link=board=19;threadid=15550;start=0#msg161518 date=1074151111]
    I did it but no help. It only changes the tone of the sound.
    Someone told me that this kind of PVC overflow is designed to use with drip system, not to use with a water pump. May be drilling the tank or using overflow box is the right solution. Please give some input folks .
    Trucdan
    [/quote]

Hmm, how about a sponge over the end?

I get this problem with gurgling and whistling with a bulkhead at the water line, (yeah all 10 tanks are drilled at the 2" from the top, bought them used) I solved mine by decreasing the incoming flow rate.

I've yet to construct the overflow tubes for more flow (and to use the additional 2" of tank)

Registered Member

You can cut down on the gurgling noise in a non-siphon overflow by making sure the pipe can get enough air in with the water so it doesn't tend to create air pockets on the way down, and by giving the noise almost no place to go (there is a reason that some musical instruments use long pieces of open pipe to amplify sound).

Here is a link to a very simple way to reduce pipe noise. It is set up for an internal overflow, but will work just as well if the intake is through a bulkhead in the wall. http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/stand...dpipe-open.htm and if you want DIY details, check here: http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/stand...-standpipe.htm

Hope this helps.

I think I fixed the problem.
    What I did is to make a PVC U shape tube. Insert one end of the U tube to the opening of the T connector. Insert a cap on the other end of the U tube and drill a 1/2" diameter hole in the center of the cap. This end of the U tube (with the cap) goes above the tank and goes down and touch the surface of the water. When the water is filling up to the hole, water closes the hole and no more noise. WHen the pump is turned off, water will drop below the hole and air will rush in to keep the siphoning.

I tested this modification and it is working great.
    Trucdan

Picture? Id love to see the modification!

Here is the photo.

Sorry the photo is not that clear. But at least show you the idea.

On the cap at one end of the U tube, I drill a hole in the center of the Cap. When water surface touches this hole, the noise is gone.

Starting the siphoning for this overflow is easy. Take out the U tube, cover the opening of the T using your hand, and suck out the water at the drain tube. After siphoning is started, plug the U shape tube into the opening of the T connector and that is it.

It's been working great for me. Absolutely NO Noise.

TD

another one.

Here is my Lab corner ;D.
    TD

Registered Member

I would like to setup my first wet/dry filter by usinbg this PVC overflow method.

I have few questions
    I have a 75Gal tank (with the stand) the height ia about 5 feet. I plan to use a 20 gal as a sump, is this size large enough? What size of the PVC pipe should I use? Another question is which pump is perfect for me since I am not sure about the outflow?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

xpotato,
    I am currently using a 20 gallon sump for 3 tanks: one 55 gal, one 29 gals and one 20 gals. I am using 1" PVC for the drain pipe in the 55 gal and 3/4" in the 29 and 20 gals.

For the return water, I use 1/2" PVC. The return PVC goes up to the wall about 8' high and goes down to the tanks which is 7' high. I am using a Mag drive 7 and I have ball valves installed to control the flow.

So far this set up is working great for me.
    td

Registered Member

thanks td!! ;D

I will go to home depot, and do my research on my new wet/dry project

when you made the modification to reduce the noise, when the power goes out do you loose siphon??? you you reccomed this type of overflow for a central system off about 3000 gallons? i think im going to have around 70 tanks. thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12