AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: floor drain in fishroom

Default floor drain in fishroom

Has anybody that has built thier own fishroom put any type of floor drain in the center of the room?

I'm at the point where I need to decide if I should put in a floor drain. I know I am going to have a slop sink to clean equipment and I can tie that drain line into the floor drain line. Then, this would go out an tie into my 6" drain line that carries my rain water off of my property.

Any suggestions before I pour my slab?

thanks

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: floor drain in fishroom

In any fishroom, there is always the chance of big spills, happens all the time. I think a drain is a must in a fishroom. I have heard many horror stories and it is better to be safe than sorry. Eventually, you may forget the water is on and overflow something. Since you havent poured the slab yet, what could it hurt? JMO

Quote Originally Posted by discusfire4
    Has anybody that has built thier own fishroom put any type of floor drain in the center of the room?

I'm at the point where I need to decide if I should put in a floor drain. I know I am going to have a slop sink to clean equipment and I can tie that drain line into the floor drain line. Then, this would go out an tie into my 6" drain line that carries my rain water off of my property.

Any suggestions before I pour my slab?

thanks
    I don't own a fish room, but all common sense says "HECK YEA!" For me that would be a no-brainer (no criticism intended). Think of the ease of water spill clean ups. A squeegee pushing towards the drain vs lugging a wet vac around. Also an easy, central point for water drainage if you aren't going to use a changing system. I would do it for the water spill protection it would provide if nothing else.

Dave

Real Name
    Jim

If you haven't poured the slab yet, then can't imagine why you wouldn't want to put in a floor drain except maybe... cause you'll have to pitch the floor so the water flows to the drain

I already had ceramic tile down when I built my fishroom, so what I did was mount a 2in PVC drain around the perimeter of the room starting at about 8in off the floor and slanting upwards as it went. It's tied into a bathroom drain about 6 feet away by running through the studs and behind the walls. Where the two lines meet, I have a backflow device (checkvalve) to make sure no water shoots out of the bathroom drain and backs up into the fishroom drain line. All the tanks have drains connected to the PVC line

Works fine, unless of course, I have an over the top spill, in which case it's the old mop and bucket routine Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member

My Shop Vac stays in my fishroom because of my habit of spilling...I wish I had a floor drain!

Registered Member

DF
    If possible, can you take some pictures of the plumbing before you pour the floor. I am hoping to add a fishroom on the end my house this spring and was trying to find out the best drain approach also. Thanks

Keith

Definetly add the floor drain. Not only for the fish room but also in case of water heater breakdowns as well for furnace/AC condenser run off, sump pump failure,...some cities may even require it now in their zoning codes for new construction.

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Most definetly. Even if you end up using another option to dispose of water the drain can be used for spills.

I want to have two drains.
    One to fill up containers for garden, lawn, plant use during spring thru fall and drain for when I'm not storing waste water.

Waste water is great for plants.

Also make sure and leave fake box somewhere in wall with pvc pipe going to other side.

This allows for easy snaking in of electrical wire, cable, phone, whatever you need without getting into the wall on the inside of fishroom.

That way if you need to re-route anything or add work is done on other side with no dust etc. to fish area.

Planing ahead for more wiring, or plumbing will pay off.

Once you've had a few years in your room you might discover you need to do things differently that requires access to room.
    Last edited by Greg Richardson; 12-14-2005 at 05:13 PM.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Registered Member

Definitely the drain! I've been very glad on numerous occasions that there is one in the mechanical room that houses my RO and water conditioning tanks for my aquariums!

The only question is whether it should hook up to a sanitary sewer rather than to the storm drain. The water going into this drain will eventually get to a lake or stream, or into the ground water. If it's only aquarium water stuff, no noxious chemicals or soap, it's probably OK, but you might want to mark this drain with something like "drains into streams or lake" to make sure that if you move, someone else doesn't throw some nasties down it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Definetly add the floor drain. Not only for the fish room but also in case of water heater breakdowns as well for furnace/AC condenser run off, sump pump failure,...some cities may even require it now in their zoning codes for new construction.
    this is a separate building from my home. It was origianlly a greenhouse. The block, studs and glass roof is still on the fishroom. I've removed about 12" of mixtures of dirt, peat, gravel, and everything else in the floor. After I dig for my drains (I'll have to dig under the footings), I'm going to pour the floor, install a double french door, remove the glass from the roof and put a shingle roof, maybe a skylight or two, finish the walls, and run my electrical and I'll be in business.

Sounds like a really nice set up! Have you thought about putting in floor heating as long as you got it all exposed?

Registered Member

It would be neat to put the drain in the center of the room and slope the floor an inch or so from the walls to the drain. A slope of 1 inch per 4 feet is usually pretty good for drainage. I am planning a greenhouse/fishroom addition to my house too! Just need to save the money to do it . . . .
    Best of luck,
    Mike
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

By all means, put it in, you'll be glad you did!! Although I can't tell you how it is yet, I did put one in my new fishroom floor, just haven't gotten down there yet to start using it..mine drains thru pvc on both sides of the room & a drain in the middle to the outside. I sure hope it works, look forward to trying it out soon!! Dottie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Sounds like a really nice set up! Have you thought about putting in floor heating as long as you got it all exposed?

Its not that cold here in the south. I'll get by with a small natural gas heating system.

Like everyone else, I wish I had a floor drain many times. I've had many floods already and Im glad my fishroom is in the basement. If I knew that the current residence was going to be long term, Id jackhammer the concrete out and install a floor drain however we have a small house and are planning sometime in the future to move or build. If I ever build a house, Im planning on putting floor drains everywhere.
    In discus limbo atm! So much to do and so little time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast