AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: egg eating pair !

Registered Member

Arrow egg eating pair !

egg eating pair !
    third spawn was lost coz my pair lays the eggs fans them for like a day
    and finally eats em slowly but surely.
    once i even put a mesh but the eggs turned dark and had all slime and fungus on them .
    i also have a doubt that the male may not be fertile .... yet
    now WHAT do i do ?
    is it normal to lose a few spawn ?
    how much is few ?
    the pair is in a tank size 24 x 15 x 15 , pvc pipe is in but they lay on the glass .
    any remedys or suggestions people?

Registered Member

Default Re: egg eating pair !

I'm new to breeding too and am having the same problems you are so I couldn't give you a solution. How old are your fish? From what I've read from other people is that it is common for younger fish to have several failed spawns before they know what to do with them. My pair is on their third spawn and I don't expect the eggs to make it 24 hours before they become snacks. I guess this is why they say patience is the key to discus .When you put mesh over the eggs did you put it close enough so the pair could still fan the eggs? I wouldn't be too worried quite yet
    Eat. Sleep. School. Water Changes.
    -Matt-

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

It may take several attempts for them to get it right. Is you water soft enough for eggs to hatch? You want the GH between 3 and 9

Registered Member

hello
    yesterday 13 mar they have laid eggs again 4 th time . the eggs seem more golden than they have looked before .
    yes i think the water is ok as i have asked other breeders in my city and none of them have to treat the water for hardness.
    i hav covered the tank with paper as it is a busy room .
    the pair is normaly very jumpy with or w/out the eggs in the tank .
    shall i cordon off the pair and put an air stone to fan the eggs ?
    i jus want to see em hatch !
    or shall i jus leave em be ?

I would let them be. It does take a while for some breeders to figure out what they are suppose to do and what they are not suppose to do. lol

Your pair sounds like they are young. If the eggs look a different color to you this time then maybe your male is just coming to maturity and fertilized. Which ever fish normally eats the eggs, you ought to pull out of the tank. Let the other one raise the fry.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Yunus
    egg eating pair !
    third spawn was lost coz my pair lays the eggs fans them for like a day
    and finally eats em slowly but surely.
    once i even put a mesh but the eggs turned dark and had all slime and fungus on them .
    i also have a doubt that the male may not be fertile .... yet
    now WHAT do i do ?
    is it normal to lose a few spawn ?
    how much is few ?
    the pair is in a tank size 24 x 15 x 15 , pvc pipe is in but they lay on the glass .
    any remedys or suggestions people?
    If the eggs turned dark, fertilization might have been good. White eggs is a sign of not being fertilized. Mesh may be used to keep them from eating the eggs and Methyl Blue for the fungus. Others i hear have used formalin. they will lay eggs where they want, they will not always lay where you want them to (heater, intake tube to filter, etc). Patience and they will get it. Leave em alone and cover them for a few spawns and you may be surprised. I have lost many, many...etc spawns to hungry little egg-eating discus parents. GRRRRRR!. Find out who eats them and move that parent to another tank because one discus can raise the fry like AADiscus said.