AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: A Leak!!!!!!!

Default A Leak!!!!!!!

So, I get up this morning about 6:30. Walk down stairs to get a cup of coffee and step into a big (BIG) puddle of water. I'm thinking great....something has over flowed. I check the tubes that are in the house, they are full (of course they have over flows on them) so it wasn't them. Check in the bathroom to see if the toilet over flowed or if the water fill up hose was leaking from the faucet. NOPE!!! So, I'm like, I'm going outside to smoke a cigarette. (we smoke outside not in the house). I'm standing on the back porch thinking and it is driving me crazy where this water came from. I walk back in side and Andrew comes around the corner. I'm like stop.... there's water every where. I look over at the fish tank that is on the bottom rack right there. It was leaking and only about 10% full. Thank goodness the heater was pushed down almost to the bottom. This was a used tank from a neighbor and we (Andrew) had to re-silicon it. I guess the silicon came loose or something. Bless his heart, Andrew cleaned up the entire mess because I had to get ready for work. Thank goodness we have ceramic tile and not carpet so it wasn't to bad. The fish that were in that tank are doing great.

This is just a reminder when you purchase or have used tanks that are pretty old they are libel to leak.

Default Re: A Leak!!!!!!!

Well the hubby will have to reseal that tank won't he LOL!

Glad to hear the fish are fine

Sorry to hear it but, glad you caught it. Sad but true story, my wife called one morning and said the tank in the bedroom was leaking. A 55g. I said turn the pump off, do this and that and she yells(she never yells) Get home! The G-D fish tank is leaking!! So I drive like a maniac. Get home and 12 inches of the bottom of the tank is pouring water all over our floor. Probably a 20 year old tank. I drained the rest, quickly putting panicing fish in other tanks. Good news is, after we pulled the carpet we discovered we had beautiful wood floors. And, not even warped!
    Natura in Minima Maxima!
    Nature is greatest in the smallest things!

Yikes! I keep hearing about all these leaks and I'm getting paranoid! My 55 I bought used! I had them check the seals before I bought it but I just know I'm gonna wake up with a leak one day!

Glad you caught it!

Amber
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

Registered Member

Talking Re: A Leak!!!!!!!

It aint just used tanks I have had this happen on a brand new 75 gallon that was on carpet. lol
    Brian

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AADiscus
    So, I'm like, I'm going outside to smoke a cigarette.

No?? Angela? Shame on you! You smoke? Not good for you...nope~Andrew?....oh dear~

I smoke Capri's~lol! And never in the house~

I remember when you posted on how to reseal that tank! Was that you? I am not sure ~ I am so glad it all turned out okay! You are not going to re-seal it are you? This is probably every member's worse nightmare to wake up or come home to a leak! I so could not imagine!

Marie ~

lol..marie..thats what i thought too...oh...she smokes..lol. at least its outside..notin worse than a discus with gill cancer. lol.

Nightmare thought, 10 gal tank springs a leak at the bottom - ugh!

On the other hand, grab your surf board and lets go
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

This is what happens when unskilled amateurs try to fix something!(Just kidding Andrew!)

Registered Member

Yeah. Most of the leak stories I hear are on tanks which are quite old or have been repaired in some way. Not always, but very often!

John

Glad all turned out ok and sounds like Andrew took care of it

Last time I walked in water on the floor was when the water pipe broke
    took about a month of nights and weekends to replace all the water pipe and repair the ceilings, air ducts, walls and clean carpet but at least it wasn't a fish tank (that might worry me more LOL)

Hope it doesn't ever happen again to you.

Ardan

Ok...Ok...Ok...The repairman speaks his story. LOL! # 1 if anyone thinks that a free tank is a deal, pay attention hear. Here we have a gimme, no strings attached 45 gallon tall. Just like a 30 gallon but taller. We have another in operation and love it as a grow out. Ok...moving forward..this tank has a broken top center support and needs to be resealed with silicone...no big deal...right?? . I go to Lowe's to purchase marine adhesive to repair the broken top middle support ($6.99+ gas), after getting home and reading the does and don'ts on the label I call the manufacture and am told by the tech (20 min to get him) that what I purchased was all wrong. He told me that I needed an industrial 454 super glue that happened to be carried be a supplier 50 miles round trip and $7.00 for a tube the size of blistex less 50%...small..! Ok that was a good fix ( I hope). After scraping all the old silicone out of the inside of the tank and washing etc... I made a trip to Lowes...got my $ back on the marine crap and got two tubes of aquarium grade silicone @ $4.00 a tube. All this is going on while Angela is smoking on the back porch . Now I reseal this tank, deep as my arm is long and honestly am concerned after two day of cure if it will hold. The damn thing worked for 8 weeks!!!!! Now, it came with no top or light. So... $19.99 for a glass top and thank goodness we had an extra light. Please do the math and I still have a free 45 tall that leaks and another $4.00 tube of Lowe's silicone + gas and time. I will try again tomorrow, just because it was free and such a great deal!!!!

Unhappy Re: A Leak!!!!!!!

I was ticked...but sure am glad I returned home fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spices; 05-13-2006 at 10:09 AM.

I think I found the leakage...

Good luck to you too, Angela.
    Attached Images Attached Images