AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Green hair algea

Registered Member

Default Green hair algea

Need advice how to get rid of hair algea.Part of problem is not enough of fast growing plants, that I had taken out over a time ( could not keep up with pruning)

120 gal--48x24x24
    300w of lights for 12 hours
    nitrates 20ppm( 2tsp/day)potasium nitrate
    amonia 0
    potassium tsp/ day
    nitrite 0
    macros (every second day)
    CO2 4 bbls/sec(press. bottle)
    iron once a week 5 ml

Default Re: Green hair algea

I'm not sure if you have this in Canada, but if you have a wal-mart,or any type of store to that nature, they have this stuff that's called Algae Destroyer Advanced and it doesn't harm plants at all.

Immediate onservations are the nitrate level is a bit high, I'd halve it. Do you test your Fe (Iron) levels? and for chelated iron? You may find it better to dose iron in smaller amounts more frequently say 1ml every other day to start. Do you dose micro nutrients too? Not sure why you need to add extra potassium if using KNO3 so I'd stop that for now. Finally add some fast growing stem plants back!

hth,
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

If you were algae free before, probably just need to get your balance back. Look at what plants you removed and adjust your dosing accordingly. IME, algaecides lower O2 levels, if injecting CO2 might set up dangerously low O2 levels for your fish. I have suffocated fish, not really a worse feeling than murdering a beautiful fish.....DC
    22 Planted Tanks My Projects are located at ThePlantedTank.net*Sliding Glass Top*CO2 Reactor*Portable UV Sterilizer*PVC CO2 Manifold*Water Filtration/Storage/Distribution*37G, 46G & 55G Drilled w/PVC Heater/Reactor Manifold*110G Sumped w/Eheim 2215s & Magnum HOTs*My Fish Room*

For a quick fix, i have found "Algae Destroyer" to be effective.
    But you really need to get to the root of the problem to be effective in the long run. I too think that your ferts might be the cause and you should cut down of fertilizing until you get the algae under control. Another temporary quick fix would be to go get some of those phosphate / nitrate absorbing resins, but remember to take it out after a day or 2, lest it leaches everything back.

Like paul said... go get some fast growing stem plants.

Cheers
    Marc
    "There's always enough grace to keep breathing."

Registered Member

Angry Re: Green hair algea

Everything started couple of months back with cyano bacteria bloom.uped my nitrates to keep cyano at bay after five days of erytromicin.At same time trimmed my fast growing plants too much and then came green hair taking over java moss and most of slow growing plants.Bumer.