ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Python

Default Re: Your Python

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe68 View Post
    I think my python is up to 75 feet. Haven't had it that long, still playing with it.
    LMAO

Since i have a sink in my fishroom i have a very small python now.

I too have noticed the hose stiffness problem especially when i hang it out the door and thought about trying a new water treatment i saw advertised but when i read ........... "If stiffness occurs longer than a 4 hour period you should seek professional help" , I decided against it ........... but the wife insisted i pick some up!

Registered Member

Fishmama- I am getting far too old to do that running bit. I have currently 5 tanks troughtout the house, with the sixth just now finished cycling. Discus are going into the new 75 gal this weekend from the 42 gal. Am thinking of getting 4 new discus for the soon to be empty 42 gal. How long will the 42 gal stay cycled without fish, before I loose all that "beneficial" bacteria? Any ideas?
    Cagerattler- Haven't had the 4 hour period of stiffness, but am awaiting it. How do you hang the python out the door? It's connected to the faucet and empties down into the sink. Making one heck of a water mess, splashing around and all.

Registered Member

How long will the 42 gal stay cycled without fish, before I loose all that "beneficial" bacteria? Any ideas?
    About 3 days you can feed it clear ammonia. It is the cheap stuff. Just make sure its pure. No soap in it....Just before you put more fish in it change 100% of your water.

Cagerattler- Haven't had the 4 hour period of stiffness, but am awaiting it. How do you hang the python out the door? It's connected to the faucet and empties down into the sink. Making one heck of a water mess, splashing around and all.
    I dont use the pump at all and only connect to the sink to fill.

To drain i just fill the line with water, turn the shutoff valve, disconnect from sink and toss out the door into the garden, connect my vac tube & stick it in the tank, open the valve and the auto syphon starts draining the tank. When im at my desired level i just turn off the shutoff and put the vac end in the next tank and repeat. No sense in wasting tap water to drain tanks.

I made 2 attachments with pvc that i switch back n fourth ........ a straight pipe for a vac tube and a "J" tube to hang over the edge for filling giving me plenty of splash and offgassing when filling. You can also see the extension in the pic that i can add either to the J tube or vac tube if needed. i usually run hot water through the line for a few minutes before adjusting temps to refill just in case.

The valve on the end of the line is an oversised valve that doesnt restrict the waterflow.

When i finish filling i shutoff the valve and leave the hose full of water to easily start the vaccum the next time. My hose has been staying algae free so far and i believe since the hose is full with no air inside thats helping keep it clean. I have Y adapter with shutoffs (also over sized) so i can still use my sink with the hose attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (81.4 KB, 19 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (79.0 KB, 13 views)
    Last edited by CAGE-RATTLER; 02-01-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Registered Member

Dishpanhands- I am currently cycling my new discus tank with 6 tiger barbs. They have held up well and are desease free, as near as I can tell. Why couldn't I just put them in the old discus tank for a couple of days, before I pick up my New Discus? When the new Discus are ready to go into the tank, remove the barbs, do a 50% water change and put the new discus in the tank? Good idea or bad?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123