ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is AC110 Sufficient?

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Default Is AC110 Sufficient?

Hey Guys ~ I want to make more room in my 55gal since I am a bit overstocked.....I have an AC110 on there and two large Hydro Sponges as well....

Can I take out the Hydro Sponges?.....would things cloudy up?....cloudy water and I do not mix well

Thoughts Please?

Thanks!

Default Re: Is AC110 Sufficient?

I think you can take out the hydro sponges. The 100 is a powerful filter and rated for a 110 gal. tank, double what your tank is. The flow rate for the 110 with media I think is 450 gph, so you are turning over the water in a 55 gal. tank at the rate of a 8 times per hour. I used my AC 500 (now the 110) on my 45 gal. tank well, always, and had crystal clear water, always, and never a problem with the bio filter, either.

Edit: Actually, Marie, if you remove them, I'd take one out at a time, wait maybe a month between removal to allow the AC media to catch up. Some people like Tina do have trouble with ACs restarting, I never did, but mine is from another era! 16 years old now. If yours have no trouble restarting then I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by poconogal; 05-26-2007 at 10:46 AM.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

I'd leave maybe one sponge in. You probably have a lot of your biological filtration going on through the sponges (and I've found they do a lot to clean up tanks). Also, in case of outages, I've found I've had trouble with AC repriming and starting back up at times.

Tina

Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post
    I'd leave maybe one sponge in. You probably have a lot of your biological filtration going on through the sponges (and I've found they do a lot to clean up tanks). Also, in case of outages, I've found I've had trouble with AC repriming and starting back up at times.

Tina
    heh and i thought it was just me 8). IME the best way to solve this problem is basically stick a long slender object (like a pencil or pen) down the impeller shaft and hit the impeller/propeller whatever it may be called or maybe even push it a little, and it starts back up.... i think it may just be some grudge collecting on it making it harder to start up.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joander123 View Post
    heh and i thought it was just me 8). IME the best way to solve this problem is basically stick a long slender object (like a pencil or pen) down the impeller shaft and hit the impeller/propeller whatever it may be called or maybe even push it a little, and it starts back up.... i think it may just be some grudge collecting on it making it harder to start up.

Yup! This works wonders! A old friend who use to be here taught me that one

Registered Member

i just use my pinky

Yep, me too, but that doesn't help if the power goes on and off when you're not there, and you come home to a screaming aquaclear.

The trouble I've had with mine is that they empty of water, then don't prime (fill back up) when the power comes back on, so they run dry . I've had more problems with the smaller aquaclears.

Tina