ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Alternative Products/Sources save $

Default Alternative Products/Sources save $

Hi, in the interst of helping everyone conserve the costs associated with the necessary peripherals of this hobby (less money on products means more money for fish!) please tell us some ways that you have found to save money by using alternative products or supplies or suppliers. For example.... The LFS sells things "specifically designed" for hobbyist at outrageous cost. Do you ever go to the Home Depot or whatever to purchase something for far less that does as good or better job?

I'll start... I actually posted this in another thread but.....

Instead of buying dechlorinator from a LFS or pets supply I use Sodium Thiosulfate. I purchase it in crystal form a pound at a time from a company called Dharma Trading Company. They sell it to remove bleach from fabrics that people use in tie dying and bleaching. I then mix it 1 0z to a gallon of water and use that solution 2 drops per gallon when doing water changes. The cost is 3.95/lb or 8.95/3 lbs. NB> This works great for chlorine but is not effective for chloramines.

Default Re: Alternative Products/Sources save $

Good idea Peter.

Salt, or Aquarium Salt is quite frankly a rip off. ANY salt will do provided it has no anti caking additives, these additives are generally know as YPS (Yellow Prussiate of Soda I think) also known as Sodium Hexacyanoferrate. Iodised salt is fine, the iodine is in a form that cannot cause any harm.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Good idea Peter.

Salt, or Aquarium Salt is quite frankly a rip off. ANY salt will do provided it has no anti caking additives, these additives are generally know as YPS (Yellow Prussiate of Soda I think) also known as Sodium Hexacyanoferrate. Iodised salt is fine, the iodine is in a form that cannot cause any harm.
    Is cooking salt ok?

Quote Originally Posted by thang45 View Post
    Is cooking salt ok?
    Yup... as long as, like Paul said, it doesn't include anti caking additives

Banned

when looking for meds for large set ups look in the pond section...same active ingredients at a fraction of the price.

When aquascaping, many times gravel and rocks can be purchased at a landscaping or gardening supply store at much, much less than a pet store. Also, sand can be purchased at a home store or pool store.

Registered Member

I have saved the most money in this hobby by adding the second membrane to my RO. The money I save in one month on my water bill buys the membrane for me.

For anyone who uses a micron bag filter in their sump, www.mcmaster.com has an unbelievable selection of bags in all sizes and micron ratings. Filter bags make great prefilters, mechanical filters.