AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Grow-out question

Registered Member

Default Grow-out question

Hi all,
    I am new to discus. I started with three turquoise and 3 snakeskin leopards (only 1.2 to 2 inch) in a 30 gallon. They were very shy and ate only a little. I was careful with water changes, but I made one mistake (used water "filtered" through a Brita filter to top up the tank without using Prime) and 2 fish died.
    I have since moved to the fish to a 55 gallon (that's it, no more room for more or bigger tanks) and bought 2 hi-fin blue diamonds and 2 giant floras. These are about 3 ins and are active and eat very well. They aren't bullying the smaller fish though. The smaller fish have become a little less shy in the new community,but still not eating well.
    I am thinking of getting a pair of Blood Pidgeons 3.5 to 4 in long. My question is whether the smaller fish will be stunted in this tank with the bigger fish being added.

Default Re: Grow-out question

OK, if I'm counting correctly (I'm working on cleaning and painting tanks, the fumes and the wine are making me a bit goofy) you've already got 8 fish in your 55 gallon tank. Yes?

Even with uber filtration and daily water changes you are probably maxed out. Unless you can get a bigger (or, more) tanks you probably ought to stick with what you've got.

Now... can you post some pictures? Love to see other peoples fishies!
    He is your friend, your defender, he is your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.