ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus in QT

Default Discus in QT

About a month ago, I got some new wild discus (oh, & a few domestics too). Ever since a friend beat me to the best of the wild browns at LFS recently, I have been talking to him about taking them off his hands. He had already decided (after purchasing them) that wilds weren't his thing after all.

12 Oct 08 was the day, so I collected his 3 wild browns, as well as 4 domestics he threw in for free to sweeten the deal. Thought 7 adult discus were a bit too many for my usual QT, so I removed the inhabitants from the 4ft and it's serving as their QT tank. Not ideal, as there is sand & plants, but under the circumstances, I thought it was the best option for them.

I couldn't get a decent solo shot of the 3rd wild brown, Turq or albino red melon, but there are glimpses of them in the group shots.

Once they finish their QT, that's when I'm going to sort out my tanks so that all the wilds are in one & all the domestics in the other. (I have a few other wilds in the 7ft display.)

Anyway, hope you like them. Some of the pics have the wrong date on them. All were taken on 12 Oct 08 (the day I brought them home).

Wild Brown 1

Wild Brown 2

Albino

Domestic Brown

Random Group Shots

My Wilds are not to the same high standard of many other wild discus owners on this forum. Pictures I have seen just make me drool & wish I could hold of wilds that look lke that. Here in Aus, we just don't seem to get the same quality, especially in Wilds who are hardly ever to be found. It was hard to even get these ones, as not many make it into the country. Even so, I am really taken with wilds now and really happy with these ones.

Anyway, I hope you like them
    Cheers, Robyn
    Cheers
    Robyn

Default Re: Discus in QT

HI Robyn,
    Thanks for sharing the Pics with us... I think you've got yourself a nice collection. And as for them not being as nice as some on the Forum...Its easy for people to get the idea that theres a large number of these "fancy" wilds out there...... and the truth is most wild look just like yours and often look far far worse when compared to the "fancy" wilds.
    I have many wilds just like yours and they are among my favorites.....Doesn't matter if they are fancy wilds or common looking ones... They are still beautiful pieces of a world most will never see in person....so enjoy them!

-al

ps.. I think once you've had these 6 months to a year from now you will be very amazed by how your plain wilds look alot more fancy! I see alot of potential there.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Hi Robyn,

Your Wild Discus (and domestic) are beautiful! They are as pretty as any other's that I've seen. Your tank is really nice too, love the plants and sand plus it looks perfectly clean! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Anna

Quote Originally Posted by TankWatcher View Post
    I got some new wild discus (oh, & a few domestics too).
    I like that "oh, & a few domestics too."
    Your browns look great now, and as Al has said, in a year they should look awesome. The browns have a simple elegance that make them beautiful, one of my favorite. Congratulations on finding them and the best of luck with them. Bill

Registered Member

nice browns, it'll look much better when they live by their own.
    domestics just spoil the wild beauty of them.
    your wilds are very nice. once they settled, they'll show a lot more color. plus, they are still young
    Last edited by Kevin22; 11-14-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Very nice group and love the tanks, looks really nice especially for QT.

Eddie

Thanks all for the nice comments. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful and that mine were ugly or anything. I am lucky to have the wilds at all, as they aren't around that much. I LOVE them to bits.

It's just they are nowhere near as spectacular as wilds I saw here (eg Brewmaster15, Pelle, AlexR & Gagowa - there were others too, but I can't remember their names). Thought if you are used to looking at ones like those, mine wouldn't quite make the grade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin22
    plus, they are still young
    Are they? I know it's likely to be a guess, but what age would you say? I thought they were full grown adults, but how old - I don't know? They are meant to have been brought in via Glassser Germany.

basshead, it's not my usual QT. I don't normally buy such large sized or so many at once. My usual QT is only 100L, too small for this group. When I knew they were coming, I had to shuffle my tanks around & make this one empty for them.

I have a question about their QT period, but this is probably not the right forum. So, I'll try to find the right one & ask it there.

Thanks again for all your nice comments.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Registered Member

hard to tell their age, from color and fins, I know they still have room to grow. should between one to 2 years old, I could be wrong. especially the 3rd photos, shows a young fish.